none
Windows 2008 standard hangs during chkdsk

Question

• I have a file share server running windows 2008 standard edition.  It is connected to a SAN via Fiber channel.  There are 4 volumes presented to the Server via the SAN.  After a critical error occured, I restarted the server and the OS requested that I run chkdsk on the SAN volumes.  I allowed it to run.  It quickly got to the indexs, but then got hung at about 49% in stage 2.  After letting it set for several hours, I was forced to hard boot.  Upon restart, I did not allow the chkdsk to run as this is a production server.  The server booted up with no issues and all of the data was intact.  I recently migrated the data via Thin Import to a new SAN.  All of my data now resides on a brand new set of discs in my compellent array.  To save down time, I presented the volumes to the server using the same drive letters.  The server immediatly asks to run chkdsk on these volumes.  I run chkdsk and it still hangs in the same spot on the indexes.  I've made snapshots of the volumes and presented those to another server.  After running a rescan in disk managment, that server requests a scan and fix.  I let that run and it completes.  I'm at a loss on how to correct this issue.  The data seems fine, but chkdsk will not complete.
    Sunday, March 09, 2014 3:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Stage 2: Chkdsk checks the directories in the volume. Based on your description, please use chkdsk /x command to force the volume to dismount. Then check if you can execute the process of chkdsk successfully.

Meanwhile, please go to Event Viewer and check if you can find some related errors.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Monday, March 10, 2014 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Stage 2: Chkdsk checks the directories in the volume. Based on your description, please use chkdsk /x command to force the volume to dismount. Then check if you can execute the process of chkdsk successfully.

Meanwhile, please go to Event Viewer and check if you can find some related errors.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Monday, March 10, 2014 10:25 AM
  • I was finally able to bypass the issue.  I moved the volume to another server and did fixup and that corrected it.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:50 PM