none
Size on C:

Question

• Hi,

I was working on a large Power Pivot mode yesterday - size of the file was 103 MB.  The file crashed yesterday and I got a warning saying that the system is low on memory.  I closed the file and could then work on it.  When I finished work in the evening, I observed that most of the disk space on C: had been consumed.  This drive is of 78MB and primarily has only Windows and Office 2013 64 bit.  It now shows only 2.69GB is free.  Everything was fine will day before yesterday.  The crashing of the Power Pivot has caused this problem.  I have tried the following but the no space seems to have been freed up:

1. Cleared all files from the %tem% folder
    2. Ran disk clean up

Could you kindly suggest some other alternatives.

Regards, Ashish Mathur Microsoft Excel MVP www.ashishmathur.com

Monday, June 09, 2014 2:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Ashish,

Considering that you had already cleared the model's temporary files under C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\...\VertiPaq_<GUID>, this does sound like the space was taken up by virtual memory paging.

When you ran into the issue, and before it resolved itself, had you already tried restarting the system to see if the space would be freed up?

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Website: nimblelearn.com, Blog: nimblelearn.com/blog, Twitter: @nimblelearn

• Marked as answer by Ashish Mathur Friday, June 13, 2014 9:08 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 9:06 AM

All replies

• Could you please run  netstat -an -p TCP and find how many connections are open .in case if you find more number of Power Pivot  connection are open ,restart the server and observe the space

meanwhile,could you please send  virtual memory (page file) settings?

Monday, June 09, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for replying.  I press Windows + R and typed

netstat -an -p TCP

A DOS prompt window opened and closed quickly - it was way too fast.  I am not working on any server - this is a standalone machine.  Where will I find the Virtual memory (page file)?

Thank you,

Monday, June 09, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

Someone please help.

Friday, June 13, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Hi,

The problem has been resolved by itself.  Today, the unutilized portion on c: is 23.6GB!!

Friday, June 13, 2014 4:14 AM
  • Hi Ashish,

Considering that you had already cleared the model's temporary files under C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\...\VertiPaq_<GUID>, this does sound like the space was taken up by virtual memory paging.

When you ran into the issue, and before it resolved itself, had you already tried restarting the system to see if the space would be freed up?

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Website: nimblelearn.com, Blog: nimblelearn.com/blog, Twitter: @nimblelearn

• Marked as answer by Ashish Mathur Friday, June 13, 2014 9:08 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

That may be the reason.  But the temporary files did not occupy more than 1 GB and I restarted my system several times after that.

Friday, June 13, 2014 9:32 AM