none
Error during in place upgrade of IPAM (W2k12 to W2k12 R2) - any solution yet

Question

• After an in-place upgrade of an IPAM server from W2k12 to W2k12 R2 and during the IPAM upgrade from ver 6.2.0.1 to ver 6.3.0.1 I receive an error:

Failed to convert Schema

The given key was not present in the dictionary

Please restart the wizard to update the IPAM server

The error.log at %windir%\WID\log has an entry of:

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided

I've installed sql express mgmt studio on another lab IPAM server and don't see any db server logins for Network Service so it's not a surprise that the login would fail.

I have seen other mentions of others getting this error with the reply that this is a known issue and a hotfix is on the way. Is this a known issue and is there a hotfix - or some other fix - available.

In a related note, is there any official technical documentation re: the IPAM upgrade process such as an Operational Guide or something similar? All I have been able to locate are marketing type of documents that extol the new features in IPAM ver 6.3.0.1 but I haven't located any technical documentation.

Thanks

Saturday, November 09, 2013 12:01 AM

Answers

• It is a known issue.  Apparently if you have over lapping scopes it borks.  I do not know if they have a fix available yet.  I upped some logs to them last week and they were able to pin it down, but have not heard of a  fix yet.  I just removed the feature and then re-added it.

• Marked as answer by dapdx Monday, November 18, 2013 11:40 PM
    Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:03 AM

All replies

• It is a known issue.  Apparently if you have over lapping scopes it borks.  I do not know if they have a fix available yet.  I upped some logs to them last week and they were able to pin it down, but have not heard of a  fix yet.  I just removed the feature and then re-added it.

• Marked as answer by dapdx Monday, November 18, 2013 11:40 PM
    Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:03 AM
  • There is a hotfix for this, however it did not resolve my issue, or another issue came about. Now, instead of the error posted above, I am getting one stating that "An item with the same key has already been added"

here is your hotfix link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2912551/en-us

Monday, February 03, 2014 9:42 PM
  • That's sadly funny. The hotfix leads to a different error. Thankfully I'm not an end user of IPAM - which seems to me not ready for prime time and not worth the trouble. The overlapping scopes was one of the issues for me that was preventing a successful upgrade in my dev environment, which is nonsensical since an overlapping scope is a failover scope which is one of the selling points of wk212 r2 dhcp which IPAM is supposed to work with. As I recall you can't have reservations either.

My prod environment, I didn't have any overlapping scopes and got rid of all reservations and the upgrade still failed so I ended up removing the IPAM feature and doing a fresh install using the WID db and then migrating to SQL using move-IpamDatabase (I couldn't get using a remote sql db to be seen during a fresh install thus the WID then migrate).

Hopefully, the end users will tire of the limited functionality of IPAM and it'll fade away here and I won't have to deal with it much longer. 

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:44 AM