none
Explorer.exe for file browsing in WinPE 4.0?

Question

• Hello all,

I need to build a custom WinPE boot disk that includes the ability for users to be able to browse the file system using a GUI.  I figure the easiest way to do this would be with explorer.exe, but I'm having a very difficult time nailing down exactly what is needed in order to get explorer.exe working on WinPE.

I know that explorer.exe has a lot of other capabilities that I'm not interested in.  If it's all or nothing, I would be just as happy with a 3rd party file browsing tool, but I would need good instructions for what to bake into the WIM to make that tool work in WinPE.

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:41 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.  I did end up finding a 3rd party file browsing tool (FreeCommander).  I originally was using a 64-bit WinPE build, which greatly limited my options.  Once I built a 32-bit build, I was able to get the 3rd party tool working quite easily simply by baking the program files into my WIM.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Bruno Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:36 PM

All replies

• Officially, WinPE is not designed to be used as an operating system or thin client, which enabling Explorer.exe would essentially turn the PE into.

A stock WinPE includes notepad.exe, which I use to do limited file system operations as needed using its File->Open box. I also have another WinPE that has an AutoIT application that browses for files (WIM location).

I guess you haven't created your GUI yet?

There are third party implementations, scripts or tutorials to create custom WinPEs but they might be limited to personal (non-commercial/business) use only.

• Edited by Tripredacus Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:37 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I did end up finding a 3rd party file browsing tool (FreeCommander).  I originally was using a 64-bit WinPE build, which greatly limited my options.  Once I built a 32-bit build, I was able to get the 3rd party tool working quite easily simply by baking the program files into my WIM.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Bruno Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:36 PM