none
external jbod enclosure connected via eSata compatible with storage spaces?

Question

• I may get kicked out of the IT gene pool for this question, but I gotta ask!

It seems my older 6-drive bay server is too flakey to run 2012r2. I don't have any other PC's laying around with more than 4 sata ports on the motherboard.

However, I do have a nice little slim-line i3 pc with an esata port sitting here gathering dust. Can I install 2012r2 std on it's internal hdd, then buy this external enclosure and use it as storage? Create pools / storage spaces? 

Bill Hagen, Owner That Computer Geek Newberg, OR www.thatcomputergeek.com

Thursday, January 02, 2014 10:00 AM

Answers

It seems my older 6-drive bay server is too flakey to run 2012r2. I don't have any other PC's laying around with more than 4 sata ports on the motherboard.

However, I do have a nice little slim-line i3 pc with an esata port sitting here gathering dust. Can I install 2012r2 std on it's internal hdd, then buy this external enclosure and use it as storage? Create pools / storage spaces? 

You can use eSATA port to grow storage on your slim box and have configured Storage Spaces to run VMs from DAS (fastest way to go BTW).

You cannot run *Clustered* Storage Spaces as this beast requires SAS hardware all-around:

a) Controllers, better a pair of them @ every box for performance and path redundancy

b) Enclosure, should have at least two ports to have clustered config enabled but better to have four for path redundancy, also it's a good idea to have at least two SAS JBODs as "passive hardware" does not mean "unbreakable hardware"

c) Actual disks should be SAS, you can use SATA <-> SAS converters but that's both expensive and begging for troubles

Why it works this way? Very simple: Microsoft had basically failed to deliver a distributed lock mechanism for LUs (something a lot of vendors did with a great level of success) so they need not only capacity from actual spindles but multiple paths and SCSI reservation per every disks (and that is missing from SATA but is present with SAS). 

Hope this helped :)

StarWind VSAN [Virtual SAN] clusters Hyper-V without SAS, Fibre Channel, SMB 3.0 or iSCSI, uses Ethernet to mirror internally mounted SATA disks between hosts.

• Marked as answer by WildDoktor Friday, January 03, 2014 7:22 PM
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 1:56 PM

All replies

You can use eSATA port to grow storage on your slim box and have configured Storage Spaces to run VMs from DAS (fastest way to go BTW).

You cannot run *Clustered* Storage Spaces as this beast requires SAS hardware all-around:

a) Controllers, better a pair of them @ every box for performance and path redundancy

b) Enclosure, should have at least two ports to have clustered config enabled but better to have four for path redundancy, also it's a good idea to have at least two SAS JBODs as "passive hardware" does not mean "unbreakable hardware"

c) Actual disks should be SAS, you can use SATA <-> SAS converters but that's both expensive and begging for troubles

Why it works this way? Very simple: Microsoft had basically failed to deliver a distributed lock mechanism for LUs (something a lot of vendors did with a great level of success) so they need not only capacity from actual spindles but multiple paths and SCSI reservation per every disks (and that is missing from SATA but is present with SAS). 

Hope this helped :)

StarWind VSAN [Virtual SAN] clusters Hyper-V without SAS, Fibre Channel, SMB 3.0 or iSCSI, uses Ethernet to mirror internally mounted SATA disks between hosts.

• Marked as answer by WildDoktor Friday, January 03, 2014 7:22 PM
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 1:56 PM
  • So then, the answer is "yes"? :-)

Thanks VR38DETT; you get marked as the answer this time!

So I'll abandon the older server (too bad!). I've got 2012r2, hyper-v, and a test VM spun up already on the i3 and things look good; for my purposes this will be plenty. I've got that enclosure ordered, and also ordered an add-in esata card capable of "multiplier" (in case my onboard esata can't read more than 5 drives). 

Planning on filling the enclosure with JBOD, setting up a stripe set for the important stuff and a simple set for the archive stuff. We'll see how it goes!

Bill Hagen, Owner That Computer Geek Newberg, OR www.thatcomputergeek.com

• Edited by WildDoktor Friday, January 03, 2014 7:31 PM
    Friday, January 03, 2014 7:28 PM