none
Where is ATM now?

Question

• I have just finished reading through the entire documentation of Windows 2000 Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM). 

I then thought that it was time to set up under Windows Server 2012R2. I discovered (to much dismay) that ATM had been removed from RRAS since Windows Server 2008.

I am now wondering where ATM is now configured, or if it has migrated or been replaced by some other technology, and if so what it is?

If someone could shed some light on how to currently deploy ATM, or equivelent I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I have never deployed ATM previously, so I don't mind reading and learning more.

Monday, April 21, 2014 12:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm sorry to tell you that ATM hasn't been migrated to other services, and that there are no other technology in new version of windows server to support the ATM network.

Compared to ethernet, ATM costs expensively and is more complex. Besides, ethernet can meet the most requirements today, ATM has been marginalized. So the new version of windows server will no longer support the ATM, if you really want to learn the ATM, as I mentioned earlier, I suggest that you can install an early version of windows server on the ATM device.

In addition, if there is any misunderstanding, please let us know what you would like to achieve.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

ATM had been removed from RRAS since Windows Server 2008.If you want to deploy ATM, you should install a early version of windows server(such as windows server 2003) and deploy ATM on it.

Steven Lee

Monday, April 21, 2014 9:45 AM
  • Yes, I was well aware it had been removed. Perhaps you know how such a fundamental component of networking can simply be removed, without something to replace it. I am taking a wild guess that IPv6 greatly lessens the need for ATM with all of it's features, however I have been unsuccessful in having my device (ATM or what, I am not sure) become configurable.

I know that the device can be configured and will work correctly as Windows Update configures and uses the device if a valid internet connection is found prior (or at least did in WIndows Server 8 beta), and  DCPROMO will configure and use the device to determine if domains are found to be on the network regardless of whether a valid internet connection is currently in use.

In both above cases above the device(s), as far as I know, are doing the set up and tear down of connections simply making calls to the ATM API. The connections seem to be SVC, and I have no idea how to view their set-up configuration, or even detect the Service(s) doing the configuration.

So What I really meant to ask is seeing as how ATM has been removed what type of device is Windows now using for these connections (I was under the impression it was still an ATM device, but is now configured using something other that RRAS), how do I configure the device and use it to establish network connections?

Monday, April 21, 2014 8:49 PM
  •  I didn't ever use it, but my understanding is that, despite a lot of money being invested in it, ATM never really caught on. There is not much point in setting up your equipment to use an ATM network if there are not any ATM networks to connect it to.

Bill

Monday, April 21, 2014 11:25 PM
  • Hey, dude! Don't you know the ATM is out of age? Before you read that docs, you should figure out which solution is the appropriate I think.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:31 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry to tell you that ATM hasn't been migrated to other services, and that there are no other technology in new version of windows server to support the ATM network.

Compared to ethernet, ATM costs expensively and is more complex. Besides, ethernet can meet the most requirements today, ATM has been marginalized. So the new version of windows server will no longer support the ATM, if you really want to learn the ATM, as I mentioned earlier, I suggest that you can install an early version of windows server on the ATM device.

In addition, if there is any misunderstanding, please let us know what you would like to achieve.

Steven Lee

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:46 AM
  • All right, thanks to all of you. I suppose I will have to install server 2003, and learn a thing or two.

What network would providers use when windows no longer supports the ATM network? (I will still need to use the ATM network to accomplish my goal, but I am curious anyway)

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

I think Ethernet is more common in a LAN environment.

Steven Lee

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:39 AM
  • All right, thanks to all of you. I suppose I will have to install server 2003, and learn a thing or two.

What network would providers use when windows no longer supports the ATM network? (I will still need to use the ATM network to accomplish my goal, but I am curious anyway)

Have you found an ATM supplier which you can connect the server to? They are pretty rare these days.

Bill

Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:01 AM
  • Have we found an ATM supplier... yes.

Which we can connect the server to... no, not in anyway that we have a say in, our ATM and IP addresses, and others, are assigned externally, and this is the issue.

I would like for our clients to be able to connect to our network using devices, for example, that would set VCI/VPI, then dial our ATM address setting up a PVC. Our ATM switch would then use SVCs and/or PVCs to connect to other ATM switches on the grid.

ATM/IPATM makes up the majority of my country's xDSL connections. I am unsure why you say they are rare these days.

I have also discovered that the ATM Forum merged with the MPLS Forum, which in turn merged with the Broadband Forum. I have looked into MPLS, but can only find information on MPLS VPNs. I am not even sure if a regular network can be achieved with MPLS, or whether or not using it would meet my organization's needs (VPN is not a solution).

My knowledge of networking and the grid is semi-professional, as many networking technologies were created and initialized long before I was born, and playing catch-up is more of a challenge than I thought.

Where do we look?

Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

TCP/IP protocol suite is more common in LAN environment. I think you can learn this first. For detailed information, view the link below.

TCP/IP (v4 and v6) Technical Reference
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/dd379473(v=ws.10)

Hope this helps.

Steven Lee

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:38 AM