none
DNS Server on W2K - The exception generated was c0000017 at address 77F9C170 (RtlIsValidIndexHandle)

Question

• Hi - hope someone can help. Since last Sunday, our DNS server has been stopping with an event id of 7031 - The DNS Server service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  

DNS is causing a DRWatson error of 

The application, dns.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 06/29/2013 @ 10:02:05.002 The exception generated was c0000017 at address 77F9C170 (RtlIsValidIndexHandle) 

The machine is a primary domain controller running Windows Server 2000 service pack 4. We've never had problems with this machine before.

I cannot find anything really relevant on search engines regarding the DrWatson.

Does anyone know of a cause or fix for this?

Regards,

Paul

Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hello,

having no problems until now, then you are really lucky. Get RID of this old NOT supported OS version from a DC.

Is that server rebooted and running, what have you done until now? Please provide more information about the current status of the server.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Hi...

server has been rebooted, chkdsk is fine, no virus or trojan. Appears to happen every 12 hours, so I suspect it might be something with one of the secondary domains.

What I'm really interested in is the RtlIsValidIndexHandle error and what that might point to.

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" which is one of the many reasons I haven't attempted to upgrade the server. The whole setup is rather complex, as most things are, and everything hangs on a thread.

Regards,

Paul

Monday, July 01, 2013 12:21 AM