none
SBS 2011 Standard Now Available for “Try and Buy”

General discussion

• We are happy to announce that today, a few weeks after Windows Small Businesses Server 2011 Standard was released to manufacturing, you can download an evaluation copy of the software directly from our website.

On the same day, our SBS website will be refreshed to help you maximize your experience with the new SBS products. The site’s new graphics, videos, and content are aimed at facilitating the software evaluation and providing additional information and guidance to our customers and partners.

The evaluation kit for SBS 2011 Standard is valid for 180 days. If at any time during or after the evaluation period, you decide that Windows SBS 2011 Standard is the right solution for your business, you can easily convert the evaluation version to a full licensed version. Visit the evaluation page http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/try-it.aspx to find further information.

Also make sure you check out the new SBS 2011 Standard Training videos plus many more at our new SBS 2011 Showcase site.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Just wondering if there is a release date for SBS 2011 Essentials?  I saw the site said "H1 2011" (I assume they meant Q1) but wondered if there was any further info on this?

Thanks

Josh

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:06 AM
  • Hi Josh, at this stage we are still saying H1 2011 and dont have any further updates at this time.

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:41 AM
  • I'm not sure i understand the decision to have a 6.5 gb iso?  Can you explain why you wouldn't simply have a 2 iso's so "we" could burn it on 2 different DVD's for simplicity?  What target audience are you trying to reach with this (those with Blu-ray burners??)?  

Edit: And yes - I've read about the USB installation. Really?  You want me to go through all that work and demand me having a 64-bit OS installed?

I'm simply trying to convey this should be made easier unless of course you:

A) really don't want people to install this
    B) you want to make it extremely time consuming and frustrating (?)).  
    C) you're in bed with a Blu-ray or dual layer DVD manufacturer :) (then I withdrawal the question because then this would make a lot of sense)

And for the record - I really don't see any documentation on the USB "solution" from MS nor any information about requiring anything but a DVD drive.

I doubt that any of these are the case - so please someone review the decision to not separate this to 2 DVD's.  Thanks

• Edited by psuskeels Friday, January 21, 2011 5:04 AM further cheeky comments
    Friday, January 21, 2011 4:56 AM
  • I wondered about the iso size too, but I bought some double-layer DVD media rated for 8.5GB. It burned fine in my inexpensive DVD burner.
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 12:02 AM
  • psuskeels is right, but don't think, using USB would solve it at least. As in w7, i took a harddiisk, prepared it with NTFS, active, 2 partitions, copied the comlete downloaded original ISO-DVD-content into the 1st partition, removed the 1st driveletter and connected it to thr new Server-PC. After "windows is loading files" i got the message from 2011sbs-setup, winload.exe is missing in \windows\system32\Boot\ . But at that time, thes folders do not exist yet at the harddisk. Is it a fault inside the wim? After some more "try and errror"- action the setup presented the welcome-window with 3 buttons- migrate - known problems --bla-bla. But there was only a link inside that documet, to continue online searching for a solution. OK - online there were also only nice descriptions about new features ans so on ... nothing helpful. I discovered at least a page wit the minimum requirements, Quad-CPU and 8-10GB RAM !  Yeah man, more, more!  For a file-server ? And my time, hours and hours.  We work at the rough frontline, not at the green table in a nice and cosy office. And be sure, i will not visit a training-center for a lousy sheet of paper anymore, a certificate, showing that i had a very expensive time with few profit that day.
    What the hell do they want me to build ? What does MS belive, a small IT-shop would spend, to test a new server-os, evev not knowing, if we can sell it later on too.  It says "SMALL business"! The customers with a 2 year old dual-core with 3 or 4 workstations  - they won't change anything.
    It is not worth to migrate form Server2008 to sbs2011-Standard, if the customer does not need all its features. Remember, many existing third-party-datbase-licenses allow only a dual-core built in. For a quad-core-cpu they force the customers to buy a second database-license. Just go ahead MS, and tell that to the customers yourself, becuse your english is much better than mine But i promise, i'll refresh my english-skills so that i can read the man-pages better when building LINUX-servers more often now.
    By the way, has the DVD-bootsequence been fixed in sbs2011, error 05 - like in w7 at some mainboards, incompatibility? psuskeels wish for splitting the ISO, does anybody believe, they will do it?
    I tried 3 recorders in 2 PC's , made a firmware-update for 1 recorder, because my DL-DVDs were not recognized. No shop in my surroundings had DL-DVDs of another manufacurer for me to try, again 2 hours gone ... and still no setup-DVD and no 2011sbs-installation.... Any ideas for me?
    c.u.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:51 AM
  • Totally agree with psuskeels, how about 2 DVD's?
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Try this method for creating a bootable USB from ISO - http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2010/09/21/making-a-bootable-flash-drive.aspx

It definitely works.

Regards, Boon Tee - PowerBiz Solutions, Australia - http://blog.powerbiz.net.au
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:08 PM
  •  

I think customers with sbs2008 are not the focus group for sbs2011...

But there are many customers out there running sbs2003 or no server at all. And they will buy new hardware if they switch to sbs2011 (8 GB RAM are sold for about $100/$200 at the moment, so no problem for new servers)

The hardware requirements mostly depend on the exchange server 2010 that is part of SBS2011 - and not on SBS2011 itself...

For test installations you could also use a Dualcore-Server with only 3 GB RAM (and a fast harddisk for a heavily used swap file ;-) - runs here without problems

Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Thanks Sebastian Talmon for your quick answer. The RAM or the complete Server-Hardware itself for a few Euros is not the Problem. I have a customer, whose Database license would cost 1500 Euro if we needed one more license only because of a quad-core-cpu.  Fortunately i sold him a dual-core shortly before, with Server2008 Standard, at a time, nobody knew about the consequences using a quad-core. For only 4 workstations in that office - a 1500 Euro-license more, that hurts. As iI said: SMALL Business. I only wanted to give some advice, that third-patry-licenses should be checked too before changing to sbs2011 , to find out the really total cost of ownership.

Boon Tee: I used a notebook-harddisk with a USB-IDE-Bridge-Adapter, becuse I had only a 4GB-Stick at home. On Monday I hope to find a DL-DVD that runs in one of my recorders. Thanks for the link to the MS-DVD-Tool, but building a booting USB-drive was not new to me. Diskpart, HP-Storage-Format-Tool for the flash-drives, Windows-PE-CD and all the other little helpers worked fine at windows7, only the 2011sbs seems not to work with those tools as easy as w7. I will report what did it for me, when I have found a solution. This was just a homework at the weekend with fewer possibilities than in our IT-Shop,  back at work on Monday.

regards, adminimum.

Monday, January 24, 2011 2:18 AM
  • For test installations you could also use a Dualcore-Server with only 3 GB RAM (and a fast harddisk for a heavily used swap file ;-) - runs here without problems

Can I confirm that SBS 2011 won't prohibit installation if I don't have a quad-core and 8GB RAM?

Are those numbers just recommended minimums and not enforced minimums?

I am thinking of testing and evaluating it on an old notebook.

Thanks.

Monday, January 24, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Can I confirm that SBS 2011 won't prohibit installation if I don't have a quad-core and 8GB RAM?

Are those numbers just recommended minimums and not enforced minimums?

I am thinking of testing and evaluating it on an old notebook.

Thanks.

The old sbs2008 prohibit installation if <4 GB RAM are installed, but sbs2011 (RTM) seems to do no enforcement of RAM configuration. A few days ago I used a server with only 3,5 GB RAM for testing without problems.

Harddisk-space is enforced, so don't try with a harddisk/partition smaller than 80 GB, as installation will abort after main server2008R2 is installed and the SBS components are going to be installed.

If you use old hardware, just make sure that the hardware is x64 bit capable (SBS2011 is 64bit only)

Monday, January 24, 2011 11:10 AM
  • If I install the evaluation version and opt to fully license it does the pricing provide for an upgrade from SBS 2003 Std at reduced cost?

I ask because I found SBS 2008 Std to be approx triple the price of 2003 with no upgrade version obviously available and it's not worth taking the time to install it if the same is true of 2011 - especially when I could get it preinstalled on a new server for a similar price!

TIA

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Paul23: Thanks - I'm pretty techie (aren't we all? :) ) - and wasn't aware of the double-layer DVD and its widespread compatability (although "in my defense", of the 20+ different choices of DVD brands/sizes at Best Buy, there was only one box of DL DVD's. I'm not the only one who hasn't caught on :) ). 

Turns out my iMac handled that fine (don't worry MS - my iMac is running Windows 7 ha).   Well - Michael: 1) it would be nice if the documentation stated a DL DVD burner was required.   I don't write a complaint like above for fun - MS should do a better job at making things easy for users (even if the audience is an admin).   It's in MS's best interest to make this easier for users (either the option for the 2 iso's or simply state a DL DVD is required). 

Also - if you want some initial feedback - the internet connection wizard is a joke (and annoying that I couldn't "access" anything through the console - of course, for something like VPN, i can enable it by opening the Routing and Remote Access manager - but what's the purpose of the console if it won't let me do anything).  I removed DHCP server from the roles, and the connection wizard still required that I disable DHCP from my router.  Really?   I understand you're trying to simply the experience to ensure an untrained user doesn't miss a step but the "continue/postpone" buttons actually don't do anything but rescan/reprompt.  

Good luck - I hope MS does a better job in the future of simplifying tasks for the user/installer/etc. 

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:44 PM
  • There are no upgrade discounts.

Keep in mind that OEM installs are tied to the hardware.  If the hardware dies, you just lost your OEM license.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Sorry Susan but you know that's not true. If the hardware dies the OEM license can be moved to 'like' hardware.
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 1:44 PM
  • I'm assuming he hasn't bought SA or an extended warranty on the motherboard.  If the motherboard dies you can't move the OEM license.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:24 PM
  • I would like to know what the purpose is for limiting the RAM to 32GB in SBS 2011?  I have a client who has a rather powerful server that has 24GB of on-board ECC RAM for EACH of the two XEON E5620 processors on that SuperMicro motherboard (total 48GB of on-board RAM).  Will the 32GB limitation affect an install of SBS 2011 Standard on that machine?  Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer.  Best regards.  Larry @ L. C. Service Co.
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:22 PM
  • It's not a SBS thing, it's the fact that it's based on Win2k8 R2 standard.  It can't support more than 32gigs.
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Can the SBS 2011 try & buy DVD be used with a valid SBS 2011 volume license key to install SBS 2011 on a production server?
    Wednesday, February 02, 2011 1:44 AM
  • @Alley Cat, I'm curious to that answer too, since Microsoft states to both MSDN subscribers and Volume Licensee's they have to order a media kit and can't download it, but allows everyone else to download this trial version. Go figure.

Given that it is a trial and not bundled OEM with hardware, you would expect drivers to be available to install it on recent existing hardware to be able to try it on. But it won't install onto a fairly new HP ML 110 G5.

SBS2008 installed no problem, but SBS2011 will not detect the Hard Drives. I've tried HP's SBS2008 drivers. I have 2 drives in RAID1, but I even went and deleted the RAID so SBS2011 would just see 2 plain drives and it still couldn't see them. Sigh.

@psukeels - My 3 year old supermarket-brand el-cheapo PC has a DualLayer burner, so does my old laptop. It's pretty standard for some time to have DVD-DL burners. They're just not used much and media sales are tiny, but you just gotta pop out and buy a single DL disk and you're set.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:38 AM
  • Thanks for the response Susan. The version of SBS 2003 I have is the full retail version and not OEM.

It is unfortunate that an upgrade won't be available but it's probably time I subscribed to Action Pack anyway.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 7:00 PM
  • Bon Tee, as i promised, i will report how i solved my ISO-to-USB-stick-problem.

First there was the problem of an incomplete download, caused by using Firefox.There came no pop-up-window for the MS-downloadmanager. Using IE8 and the MS-downloadmanager, everything went fine.

I used the HP-USB-formattool to prepare the an 8GB-USBstick to be sure, it is recognized as USB-harddisk when booting from it, format FAT32. Then I used the MS-Tool  "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" to copy the ISO-content directly from inside the ISO to the stick. No more DL-DVD
    needed, any way it was not the DVD-Burner but the DL-DVD-disk was unusable, bad quality / fake?

Test-PC is a dual-core 2400intel now with 3GB RAM, 160GB SATA II -HD, enough for a testinstallation.
    After 1st reboot while installing, the "few RAM-Blocker"-Message appeared. Here I chose "abort" and then I made a safe reboot and limited the RAM-use to the value that was shown already in the settings when I opened this window at " START - Management - Systemconfiguration - Start - enhanced Options." Now reboot again, normal start, and the "RAM-Blocker" is gone ! Now the rest of the setup can run untill it's end without problems.

For only viewing and staying informed, this hardwareconfiguration does it for me.
    Hope this infos are helpful for others, to test with a low budget or small equipment.

good luck to all the others installing the sbs2011,
    adminimum.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:37 PM
  • i am trying to install it on a testing virtual machine, which has 3 gigs of memory and i still get stuck on the memory requirements page

how to bypass it?
    i´ve tried above instructions adminium said, (took about 15 minutes just to figure out what he meant, actually its advanced configurations UNDER MSCONFIG) but when I restart the machine, it just boots real windows, and does not show up the install wizard anymore

aldo it gives a lot of errors and more yet when I click or try to do anything else (which is aceptable since the system isnt fully installed)

so, how did you get the wizard to run again?

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 1:27 PM
  • You don't.  SBS 2011 NEEDS more ram.

System requirements are 8 gig.  4 gigs and Exchange will fail to install.

Throw more ram in there and install again.  You can't get the wizard to go, you reinstall.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:09 PM
  • actually, i've managed to get past it and fully installed sbs 2011 on my test VM with 3 gigs

just look at this link http://www.parkingdenied.com/2010/06/14/bypass-sbs-2008-memory-requirements/

it also works for SBS 2011.

all you have to do is a ctrl+alt+del when you see the wizard, run regedit and then create

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Setup]
    “SkipReq”=”RamRequirement”

very easy trick indeed

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:30 PM
  • luiz carlos poleza junior: Sorry for your 15 minutes to decrypt my report,
    but I only had the german iso to install, and here everything is named
    different. Thanks for your hint with the reg-key. I will compare this settings
    with my registry.
    Until now, everything works fine, even a robo-cam via IE8 that neded a
    32bit-dll to register manually with SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe  for activeX.

regards - adminimum

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 8:37 PM
  • i am planning to migrate users to sbs 2011, and so far i've discovered that "connecting" the computer via the http://connect works very good indeed on transfering all user data to domain

however, my main concern (and the main reason to move to SBS 2011) is that all users on my network uses outlook 2007 with POP3 servers, and the .pst files are extremely big (about 5-9 gigs) and I want it to move to exchange so outlook stops crashing and bugging all around

well, after migrating a test user, i've discovered that the wizard does not mess with outlook (which is good by the way) so i can manually run the EMAIL link on control panel, add a exchange account and the drag-and-drop all emails to the exchange account, which automatically moves to the server

but i have many many users, is there a easy way to move the outlook data to the exchange or I do really need to manually move the emails and folders?

also, how can I archive some emails after moving it to the server? i mean, get all emails from 6 months back and then archive it on a separate mailbox? (i've read some pages about it on exchange 2010 sp1 archiving feature, but I dunno how this will work on SBS)

what I want to do is: automatically move all user email data prior to 6 months to that separate storage, so user mailbox always remains low, and then if the user needs, it can search the archived email on the outlook web
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Yes, the Eval can be activated with a VL key.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:06 AM
  • The VLSC system is not setup to support large downloads over 6Gb, our Eval system is specificlal designed for this.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Psuskeels,

6.5 GB ISO will burn just fine on Dual Layer DVD's , You do not need a blue Ray disk.

Most all DVD Burners for the past 1-2 Years support this, just get some 8GB Dual Layer Disks.

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:44 PM
    Can the trial also be activated with the following version T72-02881 (DSP OEI) . Or will this require a new installation of this version and a 2011 -> 2011 migration of the data?
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 9:58 AM
    Can the trial also be activated with the following version T72-02881 (DSP OEI) . Or will this require a new installation of this version and a 2011 -> 2011 migration of the data?

I'd really like some confirmation here too, even better if someone can confirm an SKU product code that will definitely work. Michael said on "http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/01/18/sbs-2011-standard-now-available-for-try-and-buy.aspx" that "yes you can attach any license for clients to the eval (Retail, VLK, OEM, etc) - there are no restrictions to that."

But the ""Ask-Partner Licensing Team"" told us.. "I have checked this scenario with the Technical Advisory Services (TAS) Team for Partners. They have confirmed that the evaluation copy – that has been downloaded and pre-configured – cannot be converted to the full product. Further, that each OEM (DELL, HP etc.) has specific setup configuration and will require a clean install."

So which is it to be? We bought a brand-new DELL Server, SBS2011 was 'out' but DELL wouldn't supply it with the server so we put the trial on with the understanding that we could upgrade it to the full version as per http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/try-it.aspx - "If at any time during or after the evaluation period you decide that Windows SBS 2011 is the right solution for your business, you can easily convert this version to a licensed version using Windows Activation. There are no special steps required to migrate or upgrade your server."

Instead we're getting conflicting information from different sources... I just want an SKU product code that will definitely work so I'm not throwing away £500+!

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:09 PM
  • I cannot test Dell and HP's media so I cannot state that OEM you can rekey. 

But VL def can be used to rekey Technet eval keys.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:54 PM
  • I cannot test Dell and HP's media so I cannot state that OEM you can rekey. 

But VL def can be used to rekey Technet eval keys.

I've entered by key in a different (non-internet connected) installation of SBS 2011 Trial. The current output of slmgr changed from Retail to:

Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), OEM_COA_NSLP channel
    Partial Product Key: YXBPH

The license status remained the same, because the activation couldn't complete without Internet connection.

Any ideas what the result for this key would be on my 'live' installation? Is does report the correct version (OEM_COA_NSLP), but it this version allowed to activate the trial? I don't mind to try it out on my 'live' server, but I'm afraid the new key will invalidate my trial license and bring the whole thing down :)

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:00 PM
  • So far this download has been a "Try and Cry". I have had 6 attempts to install this on a Supermicro server (dual 5148 processors(4 cores total) 8GBram). Every time the install locks up. Try a reboot and I get Server 2008 up with SBS 2011 failed. Looking at the logs, the error log is empty the final line of SBSSetup is "Task: DCPromo is starting..." and the final line of SBSHook is "Setup: Finish C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\SBSHook.exe"

The hardware has had Windows 7 32bit and 64bit installed before. I am installing it on to the third partition of the disk that has Windows 7 32bit on. Any ideas as to why the failure and how to sort it? I am currently trying a second download of the iso image to see if that is corrupt, but it is another 3hours before that completes.

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), OEM_COA_NSLP channel

I just activated my Trial version with the OEM COA NSLP (T72-02881) and it worked without any problems.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), OEM_COA_NSLP channel

I just activated my Trial version with the OEM COA NSLP (T72-02881) and it worked without any problems.

Thanks for letting us know Eric - is nice to have at least one confirmed example of an OEM product code working. Much appreciated.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Just to let anyone know who is looking for DL DVDs in the UK,

I have spent several hours tring to find some!

PC world do not sell them,

Maplin do sell them and I got a 10 spindle for half price at £12

Oli.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:45 PM
  • I have spent several hours tring to find some!

Maplin do sell them and I got a 10 spindle for half price at £12

Oli.

I prefer a thumbdrive as it is more easily available and reusable for other purposes.  8GB at £8.  Should be good for more than 10 complete rewrites.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Hello

I recently downloaded the SBS2011 Standard Evaluation, but did not realise until inserting the cd and running the installer that it does not work on 32-bit Operating Systems. Does anyone know whether there is a 32-bit Server OS available that will work on 32-bit computers?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hello

I recently downloaded the SBS2011 Standard Evaluation, but did not realise until inserting the cd and running the installer that it does not work on 32-bit Operating Systems. Does anyone know whether there is a 32-bit Server OS available that will work on 32-bit computers?

Thanks!

The last version of Small Business Server that supported 32bit was SBS2003. SBS2008 and SBS2010 are both 64bit only.

If you just want a plain server OS, i think the last to support 32bit was the original Server 2008. (Server 2008 R2 is also 64bit only now iirc).

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for responding :)

Do you know where Server 2008 can be downloaded from, or where I can obtain a copy? Thanks.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Hi, i need now to install SBS 2011 Standard. We have now new DELL server, but we get OEM DVD SBS 2011 first next week.

Is it realy possible to download SBS 2011 Trial from Microsoft and then activate it with OEM Key?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:28 PM
  • I believe so. Basically, all the media is 'same'. Dell probably add drivers to their image, but substantially leave the rest alone.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:01 AM