none
SharePoint 2010 Inline editing in combination with Group by keeps collapsing

Question

• Hi,

I am running into the following annoying SharePoint 2010 behavior/bug/feature.

In any ordinary document library, I setup a view with the following settings:
    - Inline Editing (big want-have)
    - Tabulair view
    - Group by value on the Subject of my docs.

Now when I use the Inline editing functionality it does a PostBack and then Collapses the view according to the Group By's I defined, without expanding out again to the level i was working in. (Tested this with 1 and more Group By's). Underwater the inline editing functionality is opened and ready for use, but I have to navigate back to it first.

It doesn't occur when I select the Group by to "By default, show groupings -> expanded" setting.
    It doesn't occur when I do not use Group by, it even resets to the "anchor" position in the page, where my document is located. 

I.o.w. it only seems to be going wrong when I use Group By ('s).

This is really annoying in a large library with hundreds of files (which needs Group by) because after clicking "Inline Editing" I can start looking for my document again, somewhere nested in the Group By ('s).

We are running the April 2012 CU, and out of the box SP library with ordinary views.

Who can help me??

My search queries keep stumbeling on this post http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010general/thread/2a8a0146-f45a-43c5-a72a-7c58d0ff9b70 and every time I get redirected to this post (or reposts elsewhere) by another blog/forum/site I get more annoyed by it, and it "answered" state. Is there anybody with a real answer/solution ?

Thx in advance

Friday, September 07, 2012 12:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is by design that groups are collapsed when entering or leaving inline edit mode on a custom list that uses group by, inline editing, and has groups collapsed by default.

There is no hotfix currently, our product group is aware of the issue and they are currently investigating the issue.

The current workarounds for this issue are 1) to have groups expanded by default, or 2) to re-expand the group each time the inline editing mode is changed.

Xue-mei Chang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Druss84 Monday, September 10, 2012 8:49 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is by design that groups are collapsed when entering or leaving inline edit mode on a custom list that uses group by, inline editing, and has groups collapsed by default.

There is no hotfix currently, our product group is aware of the issue and they are currently investigating the issue.

The current workarounds for this issue are 1) to have groups expanded by default, or 2) to re-expand the group each time the inline editing mode is changed.

Xue-mei Chang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Druss84 Monday, September 10, 2012 8:49 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Hi Xue-mei Chang,

Is there already hotfix for the issue? 

Thanks

Everton

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Any News on this? I can't find a fix for this yet?

Thanks.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 9:44 PM