none
Generate and send a SSRS 2008 r2 report via email on demand

Question

• Hi All,

I am new to SSRS 2008 and need a bit of help to check if one requirement of my can be accomplished via SSRS delivery extensions .

Requirement :-

What i need to do is send a report as an email on demand. not scheduled but when i want it to be sent.

but it needs to be automated , tried using the delivery extensions but cant seem to get it done.

any idea's / solutions are much appreciated asap.

thankz in advance

Richard Christie

Thursday, October 03, 2013 6:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Richard,

Based on your description, I understand you want to send the report subscription by email on demand. Currently, this cannot be done in Report Manager. However, if you view the reports from a custom Web application, we can achieve the goal through calling Reporting Services Web Service in the custom application.

SQL Server Reporting Services provides access to the full functionality of the report server through the Report Server Web service which is an XML Web service with a SOAP API. In the Web application, we can call the Reporting Services FireEvent method to fire a job created by a subscription. The SubscriptionID is required when calling the FireEvent method.

For more information, please see the links:
    1.ReportingService2010.FireEvent Method
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/reportservice2010.reportingservice2010.fireevent.aspx
    2.Manually Starting a Report Subscription
    https://sqlserverbiblog.wordpress.com/tag/manually-starting-subscription/

Regards,
    Heidi Duan
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Hi Heidi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Figured out a way to do this by creating a customized application.

i scheduled a subscription to send the email after one minute, once the application is triggered.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

warm regards

Richard

Richard Christie

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:36 AM