none
Host - Guest Details - VM Report

Question

• When assessing virtual machine licensing it is essential to know what O/S the physical host is using. However in the Host and Guest Details tab of the VM Report of the sample data for MAP there is a Windows O/S listed for just 1 machine in the Physical Server or Management Partition Operating System column (the rest are VMWare or blank) yet the relevant Windows operating systems for all the other physical hosts do show up in the Host Summary tab. Why does it not populate the said column in the Host and Guest details tab as well?

In addition I have recently assessed some other data where the Host Guest tab listed 8 machines with a Virtual FQDN but unknown in the physical server name and virtualisation technology columns. The inventory Results show that the virtual machine is on a VMWare Virtual Platform and running Windows Server 2003 Standard but without the data in the VM report I cannot ascertain details of the physical host server. What may have prevented map from finding the related physical server?

Nigel

Monday, June 03, 2013 12:40 PM

All replies

• We changed the VM Report in MAP 8.5 to separate Hyper-V from VMware. Check the updated sample documents, I think the new layout will address your question. Thanks.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:00 PM
  • One of the possible reasons for this and might be in your case as well that those machines don't have VMTools on them. This sometimes prevents the VMware scan from obtaining the host/guest data but you still see the guests as they get picked up by the regular desktop scan.

Edit:
    "This sometimes prevents the VMware scan from obtaining the host/guest data"
    What I meant to say is having VMTools on a guest machine might help make the connection (just a theory at this point and not a rule). Sorry if the first post was a little misleading.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Michael

I have an identical example of a 109 server only environment each with named Virtual Machine FQDN but each showing UNKNOWN Physical Server name and UNKNOWN Virtualisation Technology. None of the other Physical Host related data is present neither supporting my belief that MAP is unable to see the hosts for some reason.

The changes to the VM Report in v8.5 certainly resolves part 1 of the question but will the separating of the different virtualisation technologies address part 2 as well or could Andrija's suggestion be correct in this case and if so, is there a solution to this problem?

Nigel

Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:08 PM