none
ipv6 configure windows as router for sub-net

Question

• Hello,

i trying to configure a Windows 7 computer as router for a (virtual) sub net.

It works so far but the router advertising messages are the problem.

There are two computers connected to the router that connect to DSL. This router advertizes a global prefix that is used by both computers.

Now a have computer 1 with a virtual network adapter and several virtual machines running in it (call them vm1, etc) . It is configured to use a site local prefix and advertise it to the virtual adapter. pinging and creating TCP connection between the host computer (computer 1) and it's VMs (to host and each other) works fine.

In addition the computer 1 has routing enabled and forwarding on both interfaces (local interface, virtual interface) enabled. It also has advertising enabled on virtual interface.

To ping from computer 2 to vm1 i need a route on computer 2 with nexthop computer 1.

I can add it manualy, and then it works. But as far as i understand ipv6 routing, this is not how it is intended. Computer 1 should publish this route. It is defined on computer 1, but advertising needs to be enabled. If i do so, it send router advertising messages, that contain the route, but no prefix information. This is exactly what i want, because the DSL-router is already advertising the address prefix.

--> Here is the PROBLEM

If advertising on local interface of computer 1 is enabled, it looses is ipv6 addresses that are based on the globel prefix published by the router.

I can still contact it with the address with site local prefix, but it has no longer a global ipv6 address.

So, how can a configure to advertise the route that computer 1 has, but still use the prefix as advertised by the router? I already tried the routerdiscovery option but it did not help.

Finaly two remarks: Computer 1 is my work computer, i am not free to completely change it's configuration. Also the existence of Internet connectivity via a DSL-router is a given fact.

The main purpose for me is to learn how IPv6 routing in general works (the automatic configuration is a realy fascinating feature of IPv6) and how a test lab for IPv6 can be configured. (yes i have seen the test lab example, it is detailed and step by step, but not the scenario i have in mind)

Any help would be appreciated,

Lutz

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:46 PM