none
Redirecting Documents - Computer Settings

Question

• I'm the sysadmin for a department at a university. The users are managed by central IT services in an OU over which I have no control, but I have a UG containing all my employees.

My computers, however, _are_ in an OU I can control.

Using only Computer Settings, is there a way to redirect Documents as one can with User Settings? I realize that I can redirect U: to \\server\users\%username%, but I'd really Documents redirection if at all possible.

Alternately, can I make Documents redirection apply if I set it in User Settings in a GPO applying to my employees UG?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hey Matt - you sure can! You will want to use Loopback with Folder Redirection. Here is a guide:

http://deployhappiness.com/loopback-policy-how-a-computer-gets-a-transgender-operation/

Start small and test this. This work your way up to your entire computer OU.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: DeployHappiness. Subscribe by RSS or email. 

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Before going further, I want to confirm with you whether the Computer settings and the User settings you mentioned are the Computer configuration and the User configuration. Besides, would you please further confirm with us why we redirect Documents under the computer settings?

It is not possible for us to redirect Documents under Computer configuration via Folder Redirection, because Folder Redirection is located under Windows Settings in the console tree when we edit domain-based Group Policy by using the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC). The path is [Group Policy Object Name]\User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection.

However, as suggested by Joseph, we can get the Documents redirected if we set it under User configuration in a GPO applying to the employees UG, and we can configure Folder Redirection with Loopback merge mode enabled. With merge mode enabled, the user policies defined in the computer's Group Policy objects and the user policies normally applied to the user are combined. If the policy settings conflict, the user policies in the computer's Group Policy objects take precedence over the user's normal policies.

Regarding folder redirection, the following article may be referred to for more information.

Folder Redirection Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732275.aspx

Regarding loopback processing, we may refer to the resource provided by Joseph.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Thank you all for this! I did GPO loopback, and it's working perfectly now.

Frank: regarding folder redirection by applying a GPO to a UG of which my employees are members, will this work if the users are in an OU I don't have permission to make changes or GPOs in? In this case, the users are in example.edu/PEOPLE (I can't make any GPOs here), while my computers are in example.edu/Dept-Workstations/My-Dept

Friday, September 13, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Hi Matt,

I am glad to hear that the issue has been solved.

Regarding another question you asked, would you please further tell us what permissions you don’t have to the OU, and what is the property of the UG? Is the UG an OU or just a user group?

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:57 PM
  • It's a Universal Group. Here's what I have:

example.com
    +- Dept-Groups
      +- My-Dept // I can control this
        +- ug-my_dept-employees // Updated by a scheduled task
    +- Dept-Workstations
      +- My-Dept // I can control this
    + People // I can't control this; this is where all my employees reside, regardless of department.

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Based on the description, would you please further confirm with us what the “I can’t control” means. Does it mean that you don’t have any permission to the UG?

According to me, we can’t make a GPO linked to a group. In Active Directory, a GPO can be linked to site, domain, or OU. Besides, if we want the policies of a GPO to be applied to the users or groups in site, domain or OU, the users or groups must have the Read and Apply permissions to the GPO.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:48 AM