none
Pushing updates to Win7 client laptops

Question

• We have a mix of WinXP/Win7 client laptops in our enterprise. WSUS pushes updates once per month Friday 3:00am as per our GPO (after we approve updates on the prior Thursday afternoon.) WinXP provides the option to power down the PC w/o installing updates but as I understand it this option does not exist with Win7 and therefore anyone Win7 clients in the office on Thursday after updates have been approved will have to sit through the update install process upon shutting down their machine. My question is, is there a way to prevent this from happening to Win7 users?

Thanks!

Hank Vare

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:38 PM

Answers

• This is a matter of the user wanting to shutdown their machine at the end of their workday so they can go home. I am referring to laptop users here. On the Thursday when we have approved updates - this is when we run into the issue.

Ahhh!.... now I understand. That can be a particularly nasty scenario on a notebook if the user is not paying attention, and yes, for notebook users, they would have to wait around for those installations to finish and the machine to be moved.

My best suggestion here is to create (if you don't already have) an OrgUnit for those notebook systems, and set the policy setting to permanently turn off the "Install Updates at Shutdown" capability.

Another option: Hibernation is a great alternative if the machine is merely to be taken home and powered back on shortly thereafter.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, June 28, 2013 2:10 PM
  • We have a mix of WinXP/Win7 client laptops in our enterprise. WSUS pushes updates once per month Friday 3:00am as per our GPO (after we approve updates on the prior Thursday afternoon.) WinXP provides the option to power down the PC w/o installing updates but as I understand it this option does not exist with Win7 and therefore anyone Win7 clients in the office on Thursday after updates have been approved will have to sit through the update install process upon shutting down their machine. My question is, is there a way to prevent this from happening to Win7 users?

This is an unfortunate quirk of a unilateral UI change implemented by the Windows 7 team in Service Pack 1 which overrides what is the intended behavior of the "Install Updates at Shutdown" option. Windows 7 SP1 does support bypassing the "Install Updates at Shutdown" behavior, but it cannot be done from the start menu, it must be done by using the shutdown.exe utility from the command prompt.

SHUTDOWN /S /T 0

Of course whether a user has to actually sit throught the update process after launching a shutdown task from the Start Menu is really a business policy matter, not a technical one. There's absolutely nothing in the installation process at shutdown that requires a user to be present at the console.

Furthermore.. since you have a scheduled installation event at 3am ..... why is it necessary for your users to even shut down their machines. In fact... *WHY* would you want them to???

As for the WinXP that allows persons to bypass the "Install at Shutdown" option.... it should also be noted that this functionality can be completely DISABLED using Group Policy. It may be that what you really want is to ENABLE the policy "Do not display 'Install Updates and Shutdown' option..."

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:26 PM

All replies

This is an unfortunate quirk of a unilateral UI change implemented by the Windows 7 team in Service Pack 1 which overrides what is the intended behavior of the "Install Updates at Shutdown" option. Windows 7 SP1 does support bypassing the "Install Updates at Shutdown" behavior, but it cannot be done from the start menu, it must be done by using the shutdown.exe utility from the command prompt.

SHUTDOWN /S /T 0

Of course whether a user has to actually sit throught the update process after launching a shutdown task from the Start Menu is really a business policy matter, not a technical one. There's absolutely nothing in the installation process at shutdown that requires a user to be present at the console.

Furthermore.. since you have a scheduled installation event at 3am ..... why is it necessary for your users to even shut down their machines. In fact... *WHY* would you want them to???

As for the WinXP that allows persons to bypass the "Install at Shutdown" option.... it should also be noted that this functionality can be completely DISABLED using Group Policy. It may be that what you really want is to ENABLE the policy "Do not display 'Install Updates and Shutdown' option..."

SolarWinds Head Geek

Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Sounds like SHUTDOWN /S /T 0 may be what I'm looking for. I will try and see if that works, thanks.

To clarify why this could be an issue with some of our users and answer your question as to *WHY* we would want them to shut down...

This is a matter of the user wanting to shutdown their machine at the end of their workday so they can go home. I am referring to laptop users here. On the Thursday when we have approved updates - this is when we run into the issue. Therefore we are trying to avoid a situation where upon shutdown they are then forced to sit watching their machines install updates. WinXP users avoid the issue alltogether by selecting Shutdown, whereby the machine does NOT install updates and they will then be prompted to reboot their machines once the updates have been pushed down to them the next time they are in the office.

Hank Vare

Friday, June 28, 2013 2:58 AM
  • This is a matter of the user wanting to shutdown their machine at the end of their workday so they can go home. I am referring to laptop users here. On the Thursday when we have approved updates - this is when we run into the issue.

Ahhh!.... now I understand. That can be a particularly nasty scenario on a notebook if the user is not paying attention, and yes, for notebook users, they would have to wait around for those installations to finish and the machine to be moved.

My best suggestion here is to create (if you don't already have) an OrgUnit for those notebook systems, and set the policy setting to permanently turn off the "Install Updates at Shutdown" capability.

Another option: Hibernation is a great alternative if the machine is merely to be taken home and powered back on shortly thereafter.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Friday, June 28, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Thanks for the help!

Hank Vare

Friday, June 28, 2013 2:24 PM