none
VSS Writer wont online backup

Question

• We run Hyper-v on Server 2012 and have an issue with the vss writer not using online backup.

When we were running 2008R2, we had the same problem, but only with a couple of VM's, now we have gone to 2012 Hosts we have about 12 VM's that wont backup in online state.

When I list writers, it shows "Backup Using Saved State" for the VM's under Microsoft Hyper-v VSS Writer, so it would be a Hyper-v problem and not with DPM.

I have checked the Microsoft list of reasons when you cannot perform an online backup, but none of those apply.

How can I diagnose what is preventing the Hyper-v VSS Writer perform online backup?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:51 AM

Answers

• Was verifying that you have the Integration Components inside the VMs up to date one of those MSFT things to check?

All the ICs in the VMs must be at the level of the hypervisor the VMs are running on.  So if they were not updated, begin there.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hi

In our case it was the Hyper-v integration services. They were at a different level to the Host. We got it sorted for all our VM's except for 2. They are 2003R2 Servers and we were killing them off, so did not worry about them. The only downside to our delaying killing them off was that we had to log on to them in order to shutdown as the Host could not do it for us (no integration services running).

Integration services update was failing for our 2008R2 and 2003R2 servers. We opened an MS ticket for this and they helped us resolve the problem for most of our Servers. There was no way to uninstall the integration services in order to put them back in, so MS copied some registry entries from a working server to a broken one to sort it out.  

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:49 PM

All replies

• Was verifying that you have the Integration Components inside the VMs up to date one of those MSFT things to check?

All the ICs in the VMs must be at the level of the hypervisor the VMs are running on.  So if they were not updated, begin there.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Yes, Intergration components are up to date. I have been caught by that before. 
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:37 AM
  • Please confirm your child vm follows up the following conditions. By default, DPM 2010 performs a backup of a Hyper-V Virtual Machine (VM) in an online state. However, DPM cannot back up a Hyper-V VM in an online state, if one or more of the following conditions are true:

• Backup (Volume Snapshot) Integration Service is disabled or not installed.

• VM has one or more dynamic disks.

• VM has one or more non-NTFS based volumes.

• The VM Cluster Resource Group in a cluster setup is offline.

• VM is not in a running state.

• A ShadowStorage assignment of a volume inside the VM is explicitly set to a different volume other than itself.

These conditions are set by the Hyper-V writer. In such a case, the VM is put in a saved state before a snapshot of host volumes are taken (except when the VM is turned off) for a backup. The Hyper-V writer adds the VM in the following format:

• For offline backups: Backup Using Saved State\<VMName>

• For online backups: Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\<VMName>

More information:

Conditions When DPM Fails to Back up Hyper-V Virtual Machines in an Online State

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399205.aspx

Hope this helps.

Alex Lv

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:51 AM
  • Hi Alex

I have check those conditions and they are not applicable.

I have noticed that Hyper-v manager shows the Heartbeat as "no contact" and when I look at the services on the guest, the Hyper-v intergration services are not running. When trying to start the Hyper-v VSC Requestor, I get Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service  In Event viewer it shows as Event 7000.

I have installed the latest Intergration Services. I tried to find out how to uninstall Intergration Services in order to install a fresh copy, to no avail. Before I moved these machines to Server 2012 Hosts they were working correctly on 2008R2 Hosts. Should I have somehow removed Hyper-v Intergration Services first?

Monday, September 30, 2013 11:33 PM
  • HI, Have you received an answer to your problem? I'm running into the same exact problem. All the troubleshooting MS put out does not apply. Perhaps there is a patch that needs to be applied? There is more to this & NONE of this applies

• Conditions when DPM fails to back up Hyper-V virtual machines in an online state

By default, System Center 2012 – Data Protection Manager (DPM) performs a backup of a Hyper-V Virtual Machine (VM) in an online state. However, DPM cannot back up a Hyper-V VM in an online state, if one or more of the following conditions are true:

• Backup (Volume Snapshot) Integration Service is disabled or not installed.
    • The virtual machine has one or more dynamic disks.
    • The virtual machine has one or more non-NTFS based volumes.
    • The virtual machine Cluster Resource Group in a cluster setup is offline.
    • The virtual machine is not in a running state.
    • A Shadow Storage assignment of a volume inside the virtual machine is explicitly set to a different volume other than itself.
    • An App-V drive is installed on the virtual machine that creates a non-NTFS volume. 

These conditions are set by the Hyper-V writer. In such a case, the VM is put in a saved state before a snapshot of host volumes are taken (except when the VM is turned off) for a backup. The Hyper-V writer adds the VM in the following format:

• For offline backups: Backup Using Saved State\<VMName>
    • For online backups: Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\<VMName>

Additional reason if we have less than 300MB free space on a volume in the guest.

ANNCEX

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Hi

In our case it was the Hyper-v integration services. They were at a different level to the Host. We got it sorted for all our VM's except for 2. They are 2003R2 Servers and we were killing them off, so did not worry about them. The only downside to our delaying killing them off was that we had to log on to them in order to shutdown as the Host could not do it for us (no integration services running).

Integration services update was failing for our 2008R2 and 2003R2 servers. We opened an MS ticket for this and they helped us resolve the problem for most of our Servers. There was no way to uninstall the integration services in order to put them back in, so MS copied some registry entries from a working server to a broken one to sort it out.  

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Well...you were absolutly correct!!!!

THANK YOU, infact so was the MS article! SO I appologize :) 

(You know this stuff can make u frustrated, but love it when the mystery is resolved)

Another team creates our vm's from scripts, these are windows server 2012 R2 servers.  They then moved the vm to a 2008 R2 hyper-V host. The Guest was at vm additions of "6.3.9600.16384"  the 2008 R2 host is at "6.1.7601.17514"

I migrated this guest to a windows server 2012 R2 cluster and "whala" i can now back it up in an Online state.

ANNCEX

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:18 PM