none
Windows 8.1 Pro upgrade download problem in Windows Store

General discussion

• There are too much problem with the Windows 8.1 upgrade download. I was downloading the upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro from Windows 8 Pro. When I was at 40% download, my internet connection lost. So I waited, but it automatically restarted from 0%. What the hell? I downloaded that 40% by giving 10 hours of time. Now I have to start again from 0%. Assume I'll start downloading again and if this time it will fail at 90%. So Microsoft don't consider customers like us. So much bugs in download from Windows Store. If Microsoft won't give a solution to this problem, then Microsoft will lose lots of fans and customers. I have always welcomed Windows 8. But after this situation, if you don't give iso file for upgrade like it was for Windows7 to Windows 8, then we will mass publish articles about these problems.

Waiting for the ISO file to download.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:56 AM

All replies

• My windows8.1 download is still 0%.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:27 PM
  • My windows8.1 download is still 0%.

No solution yet. Only way is to give up hope.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Hi, Rajat

Your problem is that the downloader&installer from Windows Store is not resumable.

This is your problem, my problem and everybody else's problem, because any thing that happens to stop the download, will make the downloader&installer lose all bytes already downloaded.

I just cannot have system connected for 150 hours, continuously, to get this update.

And I don't think this has not been planned; they had enough time to think about this basic issue.

Moreover, the downloader&installer used on desktop in older versions of Windows 8 (RP IIRC), is pausable and resumable, just like any downloader&installer must be.

Why haven't they given us this good working downloader&installer?

For me, it's a planned decision; but I don't have the least idea that motivated such bad decision.

I posted a thread in this forum asking about this and I got no answer:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b96fd94d-b941-4123-af70-c8c12654438c/has-the-installation-program-resumable-downloading-capability?forum=w8itproinstall.

I posted a thread in answers forum asking about this and I got no answer:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/has-the-windows-81-pro-installation-program/dd930f1a-d879-4468-a4ae-b84b2bcfd8a6?tm=1382167317235.

I asked about this in http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/08/14/mark-your-calendars-for-windows-8-1.aspx, and I got the following answer from Brandon LeBlanc:  d_AJ - installing Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store even on slow connections should work.

How can he write the update should work on slow connections if the downloader&installer is not resumable?

The fact is that they don't care what is happening to the users; they don't care if users succeed or not upgrading.

In other words, if a user succeeds upgrading, it's alright for them; if the user doesn't succeed, it's alright for them, the same way.

Something that might interest many users: the huge base of XP computers may get a big boost with the Google's decision to offer full extended support for their browser in XP. This means much less money for MS because XPians won't move to Win7. It's known they are not moving to Win8 because they know what troubles users are getting from MS. This will also mean a bigger share of Chrome over IE.

Just to remind: the trouble we have upgrading one "device" is multiplied by the number of devices we have.

• Edited by AJCrau Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:42 PM reminding
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:36 PM