none
Upgrade to SP1 questions

Question

• Hello All,

I need to upgrade orchestrator to SP1, but at the same time I need to move the orchestrator database to a new SQL Server.

Can I apply this solution:

1- Export runbooks

2- Uninstall Orchestrator

3- Install Orchestrator SP1

4- Register the news IP

5- Import the runbooks

This solution is possible?

regards.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:05 AM

Answers

• AFAIK there's no limitations backing up and restoring the master key between different versions of SQL, so it's safe.
    • Marked as answer by JPFG Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:58 AM
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 10:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It might be possible but not supported. Your scenario looks more like a side by side migration, but you are doing it on the same machine.

The official upgrade workflow can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj900492.aspx

Cheers

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:17 AM
  • I will upgrade it to SP1 first, make sure it's all working properly http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj900492.aspx

then I will move the DB after that http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh473578.aspx

doing it this way, it will be safer and supported.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:28 AM
  • Ayman,

But I need to move the BD first, because my old sql server is 2008 version, and is not supported in SP1.

Regards

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:46 AM
  • so move the DB first then upgrade the Orchestrator Server to SP1.

Note: SQL 2012 is not supported in Orchestrator 2012 (without SP1), so if you want to move from SQL 2008 to SQL 2012, then you need to upgrade SQL 2008 to SQL 2008 R2 > Upgrade Orchestrator 2012 to SP1 > Move Orc DB to SQL 2012 (SQL 2008 R2 is supported in both Orc 2012 & Orc 2012 SP1) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh420348.aspx

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

I am already trying to move the database from SQL 2008 to SQL 2008 R2. I did the backup of my database, and restore in the SQL 2008 R2, with the same user.

After this I inserted the new sql server in "Data Store Configuration"  and uninstalled and installed again the web console.

But when I installed again the web console I got this error:

04:01:00:Windows auth = True
    04:01:00:Opening SQL connection
    04:01:00:Problem executing sql: Threw Exception.Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException, Exception Error Code: 0x80131904, Exception.Message: Error 15581, Level 16, State 3, Procedure Encrypt, Line 9, Message: Please create a master key in the database or open the master key in the session before performing this operation.
    04:01:00:StackTrace:   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Installer.Setup.Database.ProductInfo.<>c__DisplayClassa.<Encrypt>b__9(SqlConnection connection)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Installer.Setup.Database.SetupDatabaseHelper.ExecuteSql(String connectionString, Action`1 action)
    04:01:00:Post-install configuration failed: : Threw Exception.Type: System.InvalidOperationException, Exception Error Code: 0x80131509, Exception.Message: Problem executing sql. Error 15581, Level 16, State 3, Procedure Encrypt, Line 9, Message: Please create a master key in the database or open the master key in the session before performing this operation.
    04:01:00:StackTrace:   at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Installer.Setup.Database.ProductInfo.Encrypt(String data, String& dataOut)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Installer.Setup.Database.ProductInfo.UpdateProductInfo(String expDate, String pkey)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Installer.Setup.FinalConfigurationInstallAction.UpdateProductInfoTable()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Installer.Setup.FinalConfigurationInstallAction.Execute()
    04:01:00:Getting log file path C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator\Logs\Not Used
    04:01:00:Getting log file path C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator\Logs\SetupWizard.log
    04:01:00:SetProgressScreen: FinishMinorStep.
    04:01:00:Install failed for FINALCONFIG
    04:01:00:Installation result overall: SuccessWithErrors
    04:01:00:    Component: WEBCOMPONENTS - True
    04:01:00:    Component: DBCONFIG - True
    04:01:00:    Component: FINALCONFIG - False
    04:01:07:Starting Process file:///C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/Microsoft System Center 2012/Orchestrator/Logs/SetupWizard.log 

I saw in this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh913929.aspx the option to backup the master key.

If I do this action (master key backup/restore) with different versions of SQL Server, will I have any problems? is this safe?

Regards

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 4:36 PM
  • yes, you need to backup the master key and restore it on the new SQL server
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Ayman,

This action is safe? I have different versions of sql.

Regards

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 9:38 AM
  • AFAIK there's no limitations backing up and restoring the master key between different versions of SQL, so it's safe.
    • Marked as answer by JPFG Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:58 AM
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 10:45 AM