none
How to reinstall windows 8.1 when your computer came pre-installed with windows 8

Question

• Hello, so my current installation of Windows 8.1 has gotten horribly corrupted. Almost everytime I boot up, the computer wants to check for disk errors, so I decided to buy a new disk, and I cloned my previous disk over to the new disk using AOMEI Backupper. However, this cloned drive will not boot up. I am thinking that I will have to give in to the inevitable and just re-install my windows 8 installation, but before I do so, where is the product key I will need to activate the installation. I've heard on the web that the key resides on the BIOS chip, but then do I need the code to activate the installation? I am also using a windows 8.1 repair disk and my computer came with windows 8, will the code work for both? I have tried booting up from the repair disk, and used the fix issues preventing start up feature, but it has done nothing, my computer still will not boot up. When I go to try to refresh my installation, it reports that the disk is locked. Please help, I cannot go back to my old disk, every time I run it, more files get corrupt.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:46 PM

Answers

• I found the solution, which was the solution for a completely different issue, but it works

load up the recovery disk, go to command prompt, and enter these commands:

Bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixBoot

bootrec /rebuildBCD

restart and your computer will work like new

• Marked as answer by Bmendonc Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:59 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:59 PM

All replies

• I found the solution, which was the solution for a completely different issue, but it works

load up the recovery disk, go to command prompt, and enter these commands:

Bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixBoot

bootrec /rebuildBCD

restart and your computer will work like new

• Marked as answer by Bmendonc Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:59 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your efforts and sharing on this issue.

It will benefit other community members who encounter the similar issue as yours.

Have a nice day.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 25, 2014 9:36 AM