none
installed programs "slow" to start and close

Question

• My OS is windows 8.1 pro. I have a dual-boot with win7 ultimate. Lately some of my installed programs, utorrent for one example takes longer to start than before. It also takes up to 45 seconds to close after clicking X button. Even my office2013 programs are taking longer to load, they start, but will not open for 30 seconds. Is there any "errors" I should be looking for. What is the best way to check for system errors? I have basic computer skills, but I definitely need a "guide" to help me. Thanks for any advice
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:31 PM

Answers

• You can also disable the startup programs which are running in background. That will increase the perfromace.

they would be unwanted process running in background...

Justin Abraham ----------------------------- Knowledge is Power

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Joey

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
    If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are backup the key before you do
    Press Win+r and input regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Hi Joey,

To check whether the issue is caused by 3rd part program or service, we can use Clean boot to determin.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue doesn’t appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

Meanwhile, please let me know what program you installed recently.

To troubleshoot the perfomance issue, please help to collect the trace by using Performance recorder.

Troubleshooting Windows Performance Issues Using the Windows Performance Recorder

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/03/22/troubleshooting-windows-performance-issues-using-the-windows-performance-recorder.aspx

You can upload the recorder files to skydrive or similar network drives, and shared the link with us for further research.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:14 PM

All replies

• Joey

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
    If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are backup the key before you do
    Press Win+r and input regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:34 PM
  • You can also disable the startup programs which are running in background. That will increase the perfromace.

they would be unwanted process running in background...

Justin Abraham ----------------------------- Knowledge is Power

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Hi Joey,

To check whether the issue is caused by 3rd part program or service, we can use Clean boot to determin.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue doesn’t appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

Meanwhile, please let me know what program you installed recently.

To troubleshoot the perfomance issue, please help to collect the trace by using Performance recorder.

Troubleshooting Windows Performance Issues Using the Windows Performance Recorder

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/03/22/troubleshooting-windows-performance-issues-using-the-windows-performance-recorder.aspx

You can upload the recorder files to skydrive or similar network drives, and shared the link with us for further research.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:14 PM