none
Server 2003 offline - getting it back online

Question

• I recently had the hard disk of my server replaced due to read/wright errors.  The tech that replaced the disk said that they cloned my old drive to the new and the operating info was intact.  When I started it again it appears to be running as before, but the computers on my network says the server is offline.  I have downed all the computers and then started the server first before the computers which is still giving me the same offline message.  I am not a computer tech so I need help.  How do I put my server back on-line with my network?
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:06 PM

Answers

• Hire technical support if you are not computer tech. You had to keep vendor's technitian until he/she finish the work. Leaving without full check is not professional.

If you want to continue yourself, double check

1. Device manager (Are all devices installed correctrly? Perhaps reinstall NIC driver. Share your findings.)

2. Event viewer (Are there any errors or warnings? Share your findings. )

3. Double check connection cables and switch port(s).

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description i could be a lot of things.  I would try first some basic steps to check if your server is is connected to your network.

Check of all your drivers are configured. See this post for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658/en-us

The next step i would do see of you your Network card of your server is configured correctly.

Do you know you your server was configured with a static IP?

see this video for configuring your server with a static ip

Configuring IP Settings - Windows Server 2003 - YouTube

Hope this helps you out.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hire technical support if you are not computer tech. You had to keep vendor's technitian until he/she finish the work. Leaving without full check is not professional.

If you want to continue yourself, double check

1. Device manager (Are all devices installed correctrly? Perhaps reinstall NIC driver. Share your findings.)

2. Event viewer (Are there any errors or warnings? Share your findings. )

3. Double check connection cables and switch port(s).

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:17 PM
  • Tanks for tip - I will contact vendor.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:25 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description i could be a lot of things.  I would try first some basic steps to check if your server is is connected to your network.

Check of all your drivers are configured. See this post for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658/en-us

The next step i would do see of you your Network card of your server is configured correctly.

Do you know you your server was configured with a static IP?

see this video for configuring your server with a static ip

Configuring IP Settings - Windows Server 2003 - YouTube

Hope this helps you out.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:39 PM
  • Consult a tech.

that would be the better option...

----Please vote if this is helpful----- -----Knowledge is Power-------- Ajo Abraham [MCP] [MCTS]

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:20 PM