none
Mapping a network drive or other techniques to store without using bandwidth

Question

• If I use a mapped network drive to a remote server on the Internet, do I still use my disk drive if I want to transfer large files and store them directly on the server.

Basically I want to be able to download lots of iTunes files and store them and I have limited direct RDP access to the server.  I do not want have to use my immediate bandwidth to get the file and then use the bandwidth again to put the file on the remote server.  I'm trying to figure out a way to use iTunes and save the file directly on to the server.  I thought I could accomplish this by mapping the drive like this http://www.wealthyaffiliaterevolution.com/how-to-map-a-remote-server-to-a-drive-in-windows-explorer/ but I'm wondering if this is not simply turning it into a two step process get the file, store it locally and then ftp remotely but let the person think its all happening as one step.

Thursday, February 06, 2014 7:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you Remote computerA and copy files from computerA to computerB, files will be directly copied.

If you copy files from shared folderA on computerA to shared folderB on computerB, files will be loaded from computerA into your local memory and copied to computerB. 

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:43 AM

All replies

• No. Whatever you initiate via your pc, will happen via your pc. If you want the remote server to take care of the traffic, you have to make sure that the server initiates the downloads directly.
    Friday, February 07, 2014 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

If you Remote computerA and copy files from computerA to computerB, files will be directly copied.

If you copy files from shared folderA on computerA to shared folderB on computerB, files will be loaded from computerA into your local memory and copied to computerB. 

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:43 AM