none
SBS 2008 stuck on Applying computer settings

Question

• I rebooted the server the other day, and now it is stuck on Applying Computer Settings each time I log it onto the domain. will stay in this state for many hours.

This server has been demoted, active directory removed, exchange removed and has been working fine up until now!

I thought the issue was related to ipv6, so I disabled that in safe mode and added the DisabledComponents reg key. That doesn't work.

The thing is, when this server boots up in safe mode it works fine.

I have also removed from the domain , and rejoined with different host name, that didn't work

When it is in Applying computer settings state, I am able to ping the server

I have also tried twice to completely restore this server back from backup, using windows cd at boot up

Please can someone help me troubleshoot this server, as I have spent 2 days trying to get it back up and running

Thanks

Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:21 AM

Answers

• Just to be clear ... you have an SBS 2008 server that you have removed AD and Exchange, demoted from being a DC and disabled ipV6? I won't even begin to ask why you are using SBS 2008 at all.

My guess would be that there's a corruption in the registry hive somewhere.

But take a look at this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2379016

-Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:15 AM

All replies

• Just to be clear ... you have an SBS 2008 server that you have removed AD and Exchange, demoted from being a DC and disabled ipV6? I won't even begin to ask why you are using SBS 2008 at all.

My guess would be that there's a corruption in the registry hive somewhere.

But take a look at this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2379016

-Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:15 AM
  • The reason stripping down this box (not sure of the technical term for this), is because Dell sold me this server with SBS by mistake, and in essence I only needed server 2008.

The only way for me to join this box onto the domain , was to remove the core SBS components.

OK, in safe mode I ran that command: sc querylock , and the response was false. I then added the reg key as per KB;

Open Registry Editor

1. Navigate to HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP and create the following Multi-string value: DependOnService
    2. Double click the new DependOnService value that you created
    3. Enter CRYPTSVC in the Value Data field and click OK

rebooted the server and ALL WORKS OK AGAIN!!

you are a life saver...just hope these doesn't happen again.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Not a permanet fix..... SBS is neither licensed for, not technically capable of operatiing as you describe.  It will shut down or go off line again, hours or days after you restart it.

IF the OS is not OEM, you can sell it, or make peace with Dell and get the product you need.

if less than 75 uses/devices on your domain, you could install SBS as intended and join all the other devices to it.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue  so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

The reason stripping down this box (not sure of the technical term for
    this), is because Dell sold me this server with SBS by mistake, and in
    essence I only needed server 2008.

The only way for me to join this box onto the domain , was to remove
    the core SBS components.

OK, in safe mode I ran that command: sc querylock , and the response
    was false. I then added the reg key as per KB;

Open Registry Editor  1. Navigate to
    HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP and create the following
    Multi-string value: DependOnService 2. Double click the new
    DependOnService value that you created 3. Enter CRYPTSVC in the Value
    Data field and click OK

rebooted the server and ALL WORKS OK AGAIN!!

you are a life saver...just hope these doesn't happen again.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks

Larry Struckmeyer
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Unfortunately it is OEM, and Dell do not want to know.

Is there a process to convert SBS 2008 to act as server 2008?

All this server is used for is running third part exchange archiving software, that's it!

Our IT budget will not allow us to purchase £700 copy of windows 2008 server.

Regards

Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:14 PM
  • As Kevin and Larry have said you basically can't run SBS the way you've mucked it up.It will never work properly. Either start over and install it totally and correctly or accept that you have the wrong software to use the way you are trying. There is no process to convert SBS 2008 to act as server 2008 without buying a copy of server 2008.

Steve

<uklogistics> wrote in message news:81e3acf2-6197-4410-9cd7-85b8c492651b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Unfortunately it is OEM, and Dell do not want to know.

Is there a process to convert SBS 2008 to act as server 2008?

All this server is used for is running third part exchange archiving software, that's it!

Our IT budget will not allow us to purchase £700 copy of windows 2008 server.

Regards

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tod Edwards Monday, January 31, 2011 11:14 PM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 11:14 PM