none
noobie question what version do I need?

Question

• Why do I need to bother with SQL Standard or more?

I have an n-tier application where a webpage that is used by 10 people contacts SQL to perform selects, insertions etc.  Nothing fancy and the DB is will not grow beyond 5GB in the foreseeable future.

I can live with the CPU and RAM limitations

I do have SQL Enterprise available for other things like creating reports etc.

So why do I need more than SQL Express?

thanks.

melGibson

Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Sometimes express works and is all you'd need. Express does not have Agent (it's installed but non-functional) so you'll want to schedule backups through some other means (windows scheduler perhaps?).

If it performs the way you need it to and your data is safe, there is no impetus to go further.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by melGibson Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:58 PM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Hello,

If you can live with the performance limitations resulting from limited memory and CPU usage on Express, then probably Express is the choice for you.

The following article may help you take the decision:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/archive/2008/02/22/sql-server-express-and-hosting.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by melGibson Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:28 PM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Sometimes express works and is all you'd need. Express does not have Agent (it's installed but non-functional) so you'll want to schedule backups through some other means (windows scheduler perhaps?).

If it performs the way you need it to and your data is safe, there is no impetus to go further.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by melGibson Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:58 PM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Hello,

If you can live with the performance limitations resulting from limited memory and CPU usage on Express, then probably Express is the choice for you.

The following article may help you take the decision:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/archive/2008/02/22/sql-server-express-and-hosting.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by melGibson Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:28 PM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Thanks....I am going to head over to the backup area too to ask them if there are any issues there.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:28 PM