How can I create a content type including custom columns from my document library?

Question

• On WSS3, I have a document library with custom columns (date, person, lookup, etc.). I have created content types linked to document template and they are working fine, except that they do not ask me for the custom columns values. How can I have these content types also include the customs columns from my document library? (using SharePoint interface)

Note that these custom columns are document library columns, not site columns.

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:33 AM

Answers

• On these content types that you created in this document library, you need to add these columns you need. Click on this content type, then on "columns", and add columns that you need.

If you created the content type for this library only, it will show up for this library only. If you want this content type to show in many libraries on any given site or even site collection, you need to create this content type on a site or site collection level. Then you add columns you need. Each library of this site will inherit this content type. In library settings, you would need to add all content types that are applicable to a given library. 

When you populate metadata, the 1st field will be "content type". Select a content type and corresponding columns will appear.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:50 AM You can contact me if you have questions. Removed. Forums so replies should be in the thread only
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Make your custom content type is the default content type. this will update the UI

Regards

Monday, September 26, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, but my content type is already the default one. The only way I found to change the custom column values is switch the library to "Edit in Datasheet" to access them, but then the values are deleted when I update the document.
    • Edited by Gauthier2011 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:30 AM
  • On these content types that you created in this document library, you need to add these columns you need. Click on this content type, then on "columns", and add columns that you need.

If you created the content type for this library only, it will show up for this library only. If you want this content type to show in many libraries on any given site or even site collection, you need to create this content type on a site or site collection level. Then you add columns you need. Each library of this site will inherit this content type. In library settings, you would need to add all content types that are applicable to a given library. 

When you populate metadata, the 1st field will be "content type". Select a content type and corresponding columns will appear.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:50 AM You can contact me if you have questions. Removed. Forums so replies should be in the thread only
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Hello,

Create your custom columns (date, person, lookup, etc.) in the document library after attaching the content types in your document library. While creating the columns, in the last section of the Add column page there is an option to Include this column in all the content types, make sure this is checked and click on OK.

Now all your custom columns should be visible in the content types which were attched to the document library.

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:30 AM
  • If you want your custom columns to show up in only one library, then you add them in this library.

However, if you want this content type with your custom columns be available in more than one library on any given site, you need to create this content type on this site level. Go to "site settings", "content gallery" and create your content type on this site, then add columns. 

• Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:50 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:05 PM