none
Exchange SBS2003 security

Question

• Recently I had to recover clients SB2003 server from symantec BE 2010 to solve an issue with Sharepoint and company web

All went well , Company web back up and all users able to log in

BUT

Users were not getting any email and no error messages at all.

by logging in to OWA all new message are there but not being download to users OST file.

on one user as a trial I created a pst folder, direct all mail into this pst

All "new" mail came down but none of the old mail.

Exported from the ost file to a backup

deleted msexchange account on client.

created "new" exchange client, no old mail but any new mail comes through

imported the backup of the "OST" done earlier and users can now work OK

Fine but there another 57 users to do

somewhere the security between client and server for the excahnge has lost the plot, and have read many blogs on similar but no easy solution.

How can I tell server that the outllok clients are legit and sycn the mail with them.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:58 AM

Answers

• Vibha,

restored a backup-exec system restore setpoint back by 7 days.

This is a backup that you will normally use when you have a boot HD crash and the drive gets replaced. I think it might have to do with the date aspect, as users loose 7 days of mail from exchange and the sync mail in their ost file is the problem.

what does work and have nearly complete all users is

backup ost to a pst file

delete ost

delete client exchange account

create new client acc.

client attaches and syncs all folders, then import the backup pst ticking not duplicates.

very time consuming

• Marked as answer by Larrycoe Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:25 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:23 AM

All replies

• I would turn off cached exchange mode and see if that fixes it, if so rename the .ost file to .old and turn cached mode back on, see if it is still working.

The export of email is not required.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:32 PM
  • will try, tomoorow public holiday so will get to customer thursday and report back

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

If using the OWA could receive all new messages, it proved the emails have reached your Exchange server 2003. So the issue could be related to the client. Could you please let me know the client version? Outlook 2003/2007/2010?

Since you have rebuilt the Outlook profile on the Outlook client, the issue could be related to the affected user’s mailbox. You could look into the Event Viewer to verify whether there are some errors or warnings related to the mailbox/mailbox database.

There is one more question: how many users are affected?

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:21 AM
  • hi James

Yes mails are being sent. (can be seen via OWA)

All versions of client from 2003 to win7 users with 2010 are affected

all users are affected

if I direct client to from the ost to another pst file only"new" mail from the server comes through, does not sync old mail.

if I deleted client exchange account and create a new one, again only new mail comes down not old mail (Why I exported the 1 client I was working on 1st) Suspect the server has a flag saying that as message has been downloaded not to download again. Import from backup.pst to exch ost and client now works. Have not tried deleteing an old mail to see if it goes from server store, suspect it will not.

does NOT synchronise after created a new MSEXCH client

thanks for the input :)

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:41 AM
  • If the user archive their emails from the server, the server will not sync the old emails. So the user need to import the old emails .pst file on the client local.

Since your are using Exchange server 2003 which PowerShell is not supported, It seems that you have to use the third party tools to import .pst files on the server with multiple users.

BTW, you could consider upgrade your Exchange server to 2007/2010, since this scenrio will be much more easier:

Title: How to Export and Import mailboxes to PST files in Exchange 2007 SP1

URL: http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/04/13/3401913.aspx

Title: Understanding Mailbox Import and Export Requests

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633455.aspx

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:18 AM
  • When you say you recovered the server from Backup Exec to get SharePoint working, what all was restored?

System state

Data

SharePoint Data

Exchange Data ?

Are you sure that the databases before the restore are mounted?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:02 AM
  • Vibha,

restored a backup-exec system restore setpoint back by 7 days.

This is a backup that you will normally use when you have a boot HD crash and the drive gets replaced. I think it might have to do with the date aspect, as users loose 7 days of mail from exchange and the sync mail in their ost file is the problem.

what does work and have nearly complete all users is

backup ost to a pst file

delete ost

delete client exchange account

create new client acc.

client attaches and syncs all folders, then import the backup pst ticking not duplicates.

very time consuming

• Marked as answer by Larrycoe Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:25 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:23 AM
  • end user is on SBS2003 old Proliant server which is just used for company web and internal email and A.D.

Does the job and budgets tight

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:25 AM