none
Calculate Project after each edit

Question

• I would Like to keep the start and finish date constant, Whenever actual work is enter through timesheet or & complete is entered, either start / finish date is getting change/recalculate. How can I keep start/finish date constant.

How does 'Calculate Project after each edit' work If set to 'No'

I am using task type as Fixed work.

Thanks

Farhan

farhan

Saturday, July 13, 2013 11:57 PM

All replies

• farhan,

Actually that's not what you want to happen. The Start and Finish fields represent the planned schedule. Once your full project plan is all laid out, you need to set the baseline. That will capture the original plan and give you a base from which to compare. Once a task is actually started either by an entry in the % Complete field or an entry into the Actual Start field, Project automatically updates the plan (i.e. task start date) to reflect reality. A similar thing happens when the task is complete, Project will automatically update the plan (i.e. task finish date) to reflect what really happened. At any time you can compare the current plan with the original plan. The Tracking Gantt view was designed to facilitate that graphically.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, July 14, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Hi,

John was a little fast. Indeed the Tracking Gantt (and the Variance table) will show the deviation from the original plan but only when you copy the original plan into the baseline (Project Ribbon, Set Baseline). Baseline dates stay constant and act as reference against the moving start and finish fields.

Greetings,

Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:20 PM
  • Jan,

I'm not quite sure what the "fast" part is since I said the user had to set a baseline. However, I didn't go into detail on exactly how to do that, mainly because the user didn't tell us what version of Project they are using.

"fast" John

Sunday, July 14, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Sorry, Sorry, I was the fast one... too fast in reading.
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Jan,

No problem. You keep me on my toes :-)

John

Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Thanks John

I am using MSP 2010,

Resource A, B & C assign to Task X.

Duration of the task X is from 10-July to 20 July. All the three resources (A, B & C) are assign to Task X (same duration 10 days) Total assign work is 100 hours.

Assuming six days in a calendar.

Resources are enter the time through timesheet.

We expect all the resources to post the time in task X within the duration of the Task (10 - 20 July) irrespective of the hours posted.

Resource A & B collectively posted 100 hours in six days, In reality work hasn't been completed, Timesheet of Resource A, B and C unable to see the task X in their respectively timesheet.

If work = baseline work then Actual work = Baseline work, then how to calculate the variance.

How does 'Calculate Project after each edit' If set to 'No'

Thanks

Farhan

farhan

Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Farhan,

The calculate option should normally be set to "on" and that is the default. I can't really think of a manual editing scenario where I wouldn't want Project to calculate after every edit. However, when doing lots of file manipulation in a VBA macro I sometimes turn calculation off until the processing is done to make things run faster.

Even when calculation is "off" Project still does some calculations. For example, if you change the duration of a task Project will still update the finish date, however, it will not update tasks that may be linked to the task that was changed.

With regard to your example about work, baseline work and actual work, if work = baseline work then there is no variance. The definition of work variance is the difference between work and baseline work. What variance are you looking for? Maybe you are using the wrong term.

And I'm confused about your resources. You say the total work for the task is 100h, fixed work. Resource A & B have input 100 hours yet the task is not complete. How can that be?

Assuming you are talking about 2013, I'm not quite sure how resource A & B could collectively post 100h in six days since six days from a start of 10 July would mean they posted as of 16 July and today is the 14th.

Several things don't make sense. We need better clarification before we can begin to help.

John

• Edited by John - Project Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:05 PM added thoughts
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:54 PM