[DREAMSPARK] Windows 8 Pro + WMC to Windows 8.1 Pro + WMC?

Question

• Hi, I have a PC running Windows 8 Pro (obtained from my Dreamspark Premium account) with Windows Media Center (obtained during the free-key promotion period).

Since today (yesterday?) I can download and install a license of Windows 8.1 Pro from Dreamskark.

My question is: how can I upgrade/install Windows 8.1 Pro and having Windows Media Center without any activation issue?

Can I simply upgrade the OS through the DVD? Should I made my personal ISO though the dism tool or just change my product key though slmgr?

• Edited by Alessio T Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:15 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, you can upgrade windows 8.1 pro via IOS/DVD.

If Media Center is already installed on the system to be updated, it will be available after the update is complete.

If you install the Windows 8.1 using an ISO file, you’ll need to use your Windows 8 Pro Pack or Media Center Pack product key to re-enable Media Center.

Additionally, if you have some issue about activation, I suggest you contact Dream spark support for help.

https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Support.aspx

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:26 AM

All replies

• Windows 8.1 is not the final release, so I suggest wait for final release of Windows 8 which is next month and it will available through Windows Store. Then, you could just run update and install Windows 8.1.
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, you can upgrade windows 8.1 pro via IOS/DVD.

If Media Center is already installed on the system to be updated, it will be available after the update is complete.

If you install the Windows 8.1 using an ISO file, you’ll need to use your Windows 8 Pro Pack or Media Center Pack product key to re-enable Media Center.

Additionally, if you have some issue about activation, I suggest you contact Dream spark support for help.

https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Support.aspx

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:26 AM