HP Touchsmart 520 - touch screen drivers not installing

Question

• I have a HP Touchsmart 520.  Has anyone got the touch screen to work from a clean install?

I've tried the Win 7 touch screen drivers on the hp site.  Didn't work (error 9998). 

Also tried installing the HP Touchsmart 610 drivers which installed successfully but the touch screen doesn't function. 

I'm wondering now to reinstall Win7, confirm the touchscreen drivers reinstall correctly, then just install Win8 as an upgrade (rather than clean install).

• Edited by EUnpingco Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:11 AM
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:35 PM

All replies

• Try update your Windows and install latest update. I suggest to post this issue in HP forum and let them know about this issue.
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:09 AM
  • For the life of me I cannot get the touchscreen to work.  

Attempts that failed: 

1) WindowsUpdate did not find the drivers.  

2) Downloading and running the HPTouchSmart 520 driver executible fails complaining that the OS not being Windows 7

3) Doing #2 but with windows compatability mode also failed (same error message)

4) Manually extracting the touchscreen drivers from the Windows 7 installation resulted in "Device failed to start"

5) Manually extracting the touchscreen drivers from the hp driver executible (from the support site) resulted in the same error above.

6) Downloading and installing the NextWindow driver from the nextwindow support site also failed with the same error from #4. 

So I tried the HP Touchsmart 610 drivers since the HP Touchsmart 610 was a machine that was reported to having  working touchscreen in Windows 8.  I had to manually extract the driver from the HP driver executible.  This driver (NextWindow Voltron) installed successfully but still the touchscreen does not work.  Very frustrating.  

At this point I'm thinking I should just reinstall Windows 7 from the hp recovery disks and on my new partition.  Then install windows 8 over it.  Lame but I really want to see how my family takes to the windows 8 OS because I supremely enjoy it on my Samsung Series 7 Slate.  

<posted on HP forum as well on this thread>

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSmart-PC/Windows-8/m-p/1318865#M12119

• Edited by EUnpingco Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:01 PM
  • same problem with Windows 8 RTM ....
    drivers for touchsreen are not seen ..

hel ...

L

• Proposed as answer by ca2l3vin Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:12 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ca2l3vin Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:12 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 8:32 AM
  • Incase you have not figured it out. The drivers were recently added in the Windows update but it must be done through desktop mode.

To do this go to Settings > Change PC Settings > Windows Update.

It will say likely "No important updates are scheduled to be installed. We last checked <Date>. We'll continue to check for newer updates daily."

*****THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!*****

Noticed I bolded the text at the beginning. In Windows 8 you will notice its actually a hyperlink. Click it.

it will say "Other updates are available. Get Info"

You need to click the hyperlink on "Get Info"

It will take you to Windows Update in Desktop Mode. (looks similar to old Windows 7 Update)

You will then see the Touchscreen (or any other driver for that matter) listed under the "Optional" Tab

Run the update and your touchscreen will work after a restart.

• Proposed as answer by ca2l3vin Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:25 AM
    • Edited by ca2l3vin Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:27 AM
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:25 AM
  • It is good that you posted on their forum, you may also try contact support team directly and ask them.
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:30 AM
  • also doing this, there are no drivers ...

L

• Proposed as answer by ca2l3vin Sunday, October 07, 2012 2:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ca2l3vin Sunday, October 07, 2012 2:29 PM
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:22 PM
  • I just reinstalled and they are there (just don't show at first) for the NextWindow Voltron drivers (This is for the Touchsmart 520)

If you can follow the instructions and make sure YOUR IN DESKTOP MODE when you hit get info. Also they are under the OPTIONAL tab.

Sunday, October 07, 2012 2:32 PM
  • thaks a lot, im about to uninstall windows 8 and get back the windows 7
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:09 AM
  • Thank you so much! I was really upset that my HP Touchsmart 520's touch interface stopped working after upgrading to Win 8. I couldn't find the updated drivers on the HP site was contemplating going back to Win 7... your instructions worked perfectly. I wonder why if these drivers exist they are just not posted on the Microsoft or HP websites. Why make people go through the whole rigmarole...
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:36 AM
  • 1. Download the driver from the site HP (for Windows 7)
    2. Unpack to a logical drive or flash drive
    3. Restart your computer, run the install windows 8
    4. In the Select Disk, click below to download drivers, specify the path to the unpacked driver, click next
    The system will install the driver and the touchscreen will work immediately after the transfer of the window select the disc

1. Скачать драйвер с сайта HP (для Windows 7)
    2. Распаковать на логический диск или на флешку
    3. Перезагрузить комп, запустить установку windows 8
    4. В окне выбора диска, внизу нажать ЗАГРУЗИТЬ ДРАЙВЕР, указать путь к распакованному драйверу, нажать далее
    Система сама установит драйвер,  ТАЧ будет работать  сразу после перехода в окно выбора диска

• Proposed as answer by nGrin Friday, November 02, 2012 8:07 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 8:06 PM
  • 1. Download the driver from the site HP (for Windows 7)
    2. Unpack to a logical drive or flash drive
    3. Restart your computer, run the install windows 8
    4. In the Select Disk, click below to download drivers, specify the path to the unpacked driver, click next
    The system will install the driver and the touchscreen will work immediately after the transfer of the window select the disc

1. Скачать драйвер с сайта HP (для Windows 7)
    2. Распаковать на логический диск или на флешку
    3. Перезагрузить комп, запустить установку windows 8
    4. В окне выбора диска, внизу нажать ЗАГРУЗИТЬ ДРАЙВЕР, указать путь к распакованному драйверу, нажать далее
    Система сама установит драйвер,  ТАЧ будет работать  сразу после перехода в окно выбора диска

????

L

Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:55 PM
  • it's really work!
    great thx :)

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:41 AM
  • por cuando instalo el driver en win 7 64 bits me sale error codigo 10
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:43 PM
  • del touchpad voltron scrren

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:44 PM