none
SBS 2008 standard download

Question

• I have recently been given an old server by a company i do work for.  SBS server 2008 standard with the license key slapped bang on the side of the case.  Now here is where i run into trouble,  I am looking to rebuild this machine from scratch but neither he nor myself can find a copy anywhere except on MSDN subscriptions which I won't be paying for to download.

Is there anyone that could send me a link to an iso.  Microsoft should still make this available since you can purchase the software from retailers, yet cannot download from the makers themselves.

And please only answer if you have an answer, I am after a copy pure and simple to use with my perfectly legit key, nothing more nothing less.

Monday, March 17, 2014 6:13 PM

Answers

• I have an answer, you will not like it.

Microsoft provides downloads of ISO files for its Windows operating systems to Volume Licensing (VL) customers and MSDN Subscribers. I can see SBS is available as an MSDN download so I suspect it would also be available to VL customers (though this does seem contradictory to me). The MSDN agreement prevents me from making the software available to others and I would assume the VL agreement has a similar provision.

Small Business Server is a product typically sold with hardware by an OEM (your SBS sticker probably says OEM on it). This is a retail product and in most cases the customer receives the media at the time of purchase. It is the responsibility of the customer to keep the media safe and there is (usually) no (free) method to acquire the media again.

I get your frustration and understand you just want to use the product your company has given you.

Although... it could be the case that your company hasn't given you SBS unless they also provide you with the media. From OEM Partner Center Licensing FAQ:

Q. Can my customers transfer or sell their OEM software licenses?

A. After an OEM software license has been installed on a PC, the license may not be installed on or transferred to another PC. However, the entire PC may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights. When transferring the PC to the new end user, the software media, manuals (if applicable), and Certificate of Authenticity label must be included. It is also advisable to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end user cannot keep any copies of the software.

One final thing you could try, and this is the most positive answer I could hope to provide you with, is that this company could try contacting the system builder and with proof of purchase (I would assume it's on file) purchase the media.

Monday, March 17, 2014 9:22 PM
  •   I agree with Jason. If it has a sticker on the case it is probably an OEM version and the product key will be an OEM key (so it probably would not work with the MSDN retail or VL version even if you could download them). It will probably only work with the original installation media, as described for OEM software in Jason's post.

You can of course install any OS which is compatible with the hardware, but you will need the installation media (and a product key if the software requires one).

Bill

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:30 AM

All replies

• I have an answer, you will not like it.

Microsoft provides downloads of ISO files for its Windows operating systems to Volume Licensing (VL) customers and MSDN Subscribers. I can see SBS is available as an MSDN download so I suspect it would also be available to VL customers (though this does seem contradictory to me). The MSDN agreement prevents me from making the software available to others and I would assume the VL agreement has a similar provision.

Small Business Server is a product typically sold with hardware by an OEM (your SBS sticker probably says OEM on it). This is a retail product and in most cases the customer receives the media at the time of purchase. It is the responsibility of the customer to keep the media safe and there is (usually) no (free) method to acquire the media again.

I get your frustration and understand you just want to use the product your company has given you.

Although... it could be the case that your company hasn't given you SBS unless they also provide you with the media. From OEM Partner Center Licensing FAQ:

Q. Can my customers transfer or sell their OEM software licenses?

A. After an OEM software license has been installed on a PC, the license may not be installed on or transferred to another PC. However, the entire PC may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights. When transferring the PC to the new end user, the software media, manuals (if applicable), and Certificate of Authenticity label must be included. It is also advisable to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end user cannot keep any copies of the software.

One final thing you could try, and this is the most positive answer I could hope to provide you with, is that this company could try contacting the system builder and with proof of purchase (I would assume it's on file) purchase the media.

Monday, March 17, 2014 9:22 PM
  •   I agree with Jason. If it has a sticker on the case it is probably an OEM version and the product key will be an OEM key (so it probably would not work with the MSDN retail or VL version even if you could download them). It will probably only work with the original installation media, as described for OEM software in Jason's post.

You can of course install any OS which is compatible with the hardware, but you will need the installation media (and a product key if the software requires one).

Bill

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:30 AM