none
WSUS Client

General discussion

• This is more a product enhancement suggestion than a question but I don't know (haven't found) which forum to post it to yet....

When new updates are approved the client downloads and stores the required update files in the %windows$\softwaredistribution\download folder.

These files remain in this folder forever, what would be neat is if the update process could prune this folder of old content on a regular basis.... if an old update is ever required again in the future the file can be downloaded from the wsus server.

Over time the OS drive of the server becomes full, due to new updates, log file growth etc etc, from a backup perspective duplicate files from multiple servers are being backed up, by pruning these folders the drives do not fill up and the backups take less storage/time to run.

Let me know any comments.

Andrew

Friday, October 04, 2013 11:23 AM

All replies

• Thank you for the feedback. We will consider implementing this in a future version of WSUS.

Thanks,
    Ben Herila

Program Manager, Windows Server Core & Admin. (which includes WSUS)

Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:09 AM
  • These files remain in this folder forever, what would be neat is if the update process could prune this folder of old content on a regular basis.... if an old update is ever required again in the future the file can be downloaded from the wsus server.

Actually.. on a healthy system, this folder should be automatically maintained by the Windows Update Agent.

But, what often happens is that the metadata in the WUA Datastore gets out-of-kilter with what is physically present in the file system, and the WUA no longer recognizes that the file needs to be deleted.

As a first step, you can manually delete any files in the ~\Download folder that are older than 10 days (the period at which the WUA would normally purge those files after successful installation). Then monitor the folder for any recurrence of the behavior. If it does, you may consider rebuilding the SoftwareDistribution folder, which will create a new Datastore, and a new Download cache.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence R Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:39 PM