none
Disk failed or disk not found

Question

• I had to restore image of Windows server 2008 R2 with Acronis backup and recovery 10 due to defective hard drive in Raid 1. Everything is running just fain except DPM 2010. When i go to Management in DPM i see Problem: Disk failed or disk not found, Resolution rescan or remove. Rescan didn't work for me and remove options I don't wanna try. Also in Protection i see protection status Disk missisng. But if i check disks in Disk Management i can see all of them. I don't want to remove them, reinitialize and configure all backup tasks again.

Thanks in advance Pete

Monday, June 06, 2011 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi

You can use the below procedure to check and change the disk signature so DPM can recoginze the disk again.

To resolve this type of issue please follow the steps below.
    1. Close the DPM administrator console and disk management console as well if open. 
    2. Launch SQL Server Management studio and expand the DPMDB and then tables.
    3. Find the SQL table named "tbl_SPM_Disk" and open it and locate the columns named "signature" and "NTDiskNumber" or run the following query:
    use dpmdb
    select ntdisknumber,signature,IsInStoragePool from tbl_SPM_Disk
    4. Make note of the value in the "signature" column; particularly the leading 8 Bytes as this is the disk signature. The "NTDiskNumber" can be leveraged so that you properly identify each disk properly as they're ordered in the system. You can also leverage the "TotalSize" column as a way to identify the missing disk(s) properly.

5. If the disk is NOT GPT-based then you can simply use diskpart.exe to first list the disks (list disk) in the system then select the disk (select disk x) which belongs in the storage pool. Once the disk has been selected you can then write the correct signature to it using "Unique Disk ID=1a2b3c4d" replacing "1a2b3c4d" with the correct signature as found in the "tbl_SPM_Disk" SQL table.
    6. Next back in the "tbl_SPM_Disk" SQL table check the "IsInStoragePool" column to ensure that it is set to true (value of 1). If it is set to false (value of 0) then set it to true and then close SQL Server Management Studio then re-launch the DPM administrator console to verify that the storage pool disk is present again (you may have to rescan disks in the DPM admin console).

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If all of the disks are physically present and healthy in disk management (no missing dynamic disks) - then the missing disk(s) in the DPM storage pool are caused by the disk signatures being changed in the MBR of the disk.

Are any of the disks in the storage pool GPT disks (IE: over 2TB) ?   Fixing the problem is more complicated if they are.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Hi Mike,

all of the disks are present and healthy. None of them is over 2 TB. They are 500 GB big.

Pete

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Hi

You can use the below procedure to check and change the disk signature so DPM can recoginze the disk again.

To resolve this type of issue please follow the steps below.
    1. Close the DPM administrator console and disk management console as well if open. 
    2. Launch SQL Server Management studio and expand the DPMDB and then tables.
    3. Find the SQL table named "tbl_SPM_Disk" and open it and locate the columns named "signature" and "NTDiskNumber" or run the following query:
    use dpmdb
    select ntdisknumber,signature,IsInStoragePool from tbl_SPM_Disk
    4. Make note of the value in the "signature" column; particularly the leading 8 Bytes as this is the disk signature. The "NTDiskNumber" can be leveraged so that you properly identify each disk properly as they're ordered in the system. You can also leverage the "TotalSize" column as a way to identify the missing disk(s) properly.

5. If the disk is NOT GPT-based then you can simply use diskpart.exe to first list the disks (list disk) in the system then select the disk (select disk x) which belongs in the storage pool. Once the disk has been selected you can then write the correct signature to it using "Unique Disk ID=1a2b3c4d" replacing "1a2b3c4d" with the correct signature as found in the "tbl_SPM_Disk" SQL table.
    6. Next back in the "tbl_SPM_Disk" SQL table check the "IsInStoragePool" column to ensure that it is set to true (value of 1). If it is set to false (value of 0) then set it to true and then close SQL Server Management Studio then re-launch the DPM administrator console to verify that the storage pool disk is present again (you may have to rescan disks in the DPM admin console).

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Hi Mike,

thank you for your guide, it worked for me.

Pete

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:39 AM
  • HI

We have the same issue but all of our disks are 2tb (5 in a raid 5 array) and we have the same issue, the data is vital and in desperate need how do we recover the drive as it is sitting on rescan/remove

using the less than 2tb method posted the drive goes green but then back to red, in sql there is also another identical drive now created but it is totally empty.

thanks

chris

• Edited by midcuk77 Friday, March 16, 2012 12:53 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Mike,

You are a life saver ! I successfully get all disks back with diskpart. I had the same situation and used the same software as described in petemate2003 problem.

Bostjan 

Friday, November 09, 2012 3:56 PM