none
SLQ Server 2008 and 2012 - Self-training and SQL Server products‏

Question

• I would like to take the following MCSA exams for MS SQL Server:

70-461 (Querying SQL Server)
    70-462 (Administering SQL Server Databases)
    70-463 (Implementing a Data Warehouse)

I plan to use the MS self-study books for each of these exams, and would like to learn on a version of SQL server installed on my own laptop.

My questions are -

1)  Would the developer version of SQL server be enough for me to follow the syllabus of these three courses - if not, which would I need?

2)  Would the developer edition also be enough for the other MCSE SQL server modules should I choose to take them?

3) Can I install SQL server on my laptop without it having any impact on my other uses of the laptop, or would I be better buying a dedicated laptop?

4)  I currently have a DELL laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium, with Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system.  Is this enough to run the developer edition?  

Any other advice you could give would be appreciated.

Saturday, November 09, 2013 6:20 PM

Answers

• Hello Graham,

1) The developer edition equals the full blown enterprise edition, absolute all features of SQL Server are available. The only  difference: The developer is only licensed for testing/developing propose, not for predictive environment. So Yes, best choice for learning.

2) Yes, see 1)

3) Yes, no need to worry, you can install it without harm your system.

4) The hardware is fine. If you may someday start with "big data" then more memory (RAM) would be good, but to start the laptop is fine.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Saturday, November 09, 2013 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Graham,

1) The developer edition equals the full blown enterprise edition, absolute all features of SQL Server are available. The only  difference: The developer is only licensed for testing/developing propose, not for predictive environment. So Yes, best choice for learning.

2) Yes, see 1)

3) Yes, no need to worry, you can install it without harm your system.

4) The hardware is fine. If you may someday start with "big data" then more memory (RAM) would be good, but to start the laptop is fine.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Saturday, November 09, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Thanks very much for the reply, that's answered all my concerns.

GS

Saturday, November 09, 2013 8:16 PM