none
Windows 8 and Remote Desktop

Question

• I have a Dell XPS One 2710 computer with Windows 8 at home. I also have at home  a Dell B1265dnf wireless printer.  When I remote desktop into my office computer, I cannot print.  Does anyone know if there is a bug in Windows 8 which is causing the problem? If so, will the update to Windows 8 fix this?  Thanks.
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm if the issue only occurs on your Windows 8 PC. What’s operating system of your office computer? Did the printer redirect before?

I suggest you troubleshoot the issue from the following sides.

1. Group Policy must be correctly set to enable Easy Print on the Server.

Computer Configuration\Administrative templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Printer Redirection

2. Check The Remote Desktop Configuration Tool (tsconfig.msc) settings to ensure that the “Windows Printer” option is not disabled (it is not disabled by default).

3. Make sure that the “Printers” check box in the client (mstsc.exe) window on the “Local Resources” tab is checked. The corresponding setting in the associated RDP file is “redirectprinters:i:1”.

4. Ensure that the spooler service is running on both the RDP Client & Server.

5. Install correct driver on the server.

6. On the server, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\spool\printers. Give everyone with full control permission.

If everything listed so far is correct and you still have a redirection problem, check the event logs.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:56 AM