none
protect workbook structure - auto-enabled without user permissions

Question

• I've run into this problem across a few of my spreadsheets recently.

I am running windows xp and microsoft office 2010.

I open an excel workbook that I previously used to find that the permissions for protect workbook structure has been locked.

-This has occured with files that I have a. created and used exclusively myself; b. been created by others but have since been used only by me; c. shared workbooks with multiple editors.

-It has also happened for 'standard' and macro-enabled files.

-I think that solely focusing on case a, since it eliminates changes by other people is easiest.

My assumption is that the excel workbook is being auto-protected...somehow... and I'm not able to add/move/see hidden sheets. I tried a few passwords, 'blank', my user ID, log-in password.

Keep in mind that it takes a few clicks and entering the password twice to manually lock the workbook.

So...moving forward, I'd appreciate any help into a. preventing it from happening again, or b. a method to undo it and use the spreadsheets again without moving the codes and data into new workbooks.

(let me know what information you need to get more insight into the problem)

Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For your description, did you mean that a few of the protected Excel files locked the permissions, when you opened them? Did the protected command in the robbin turned grey?

Please try to fix the issue with the following link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/change-or-remove-worksheet-or-workbook-element-protection-HP010078581.aspx

If I misunderstand something,you'd better upload some pictures in the forum. I'll do more deeply research.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 08, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Sorry, I'm not able to post a picture at this time - though that would have helped.

In office 2010, when I go to the 'file' tab, the box 'permissions' (protect workbook) is colored orange, and the drop-down upon clicking the icon for 'protect workbook structue' is activated.

No other changes have been noticed.

Just to clarify, I did not do this myself, and no one else has access to the workbook.

Edit: and this has been a recurring problem, happening twice this week, on separate occasions.
    • Edited by jjb567 Friday, November 08, 2013 4:55 PM
    Friday, November 08, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry for my delay reply.Would you like to upload the picture to SkyDrive and share the link to me?

Next, I known that the files had been prodected without your behaver. It seems that the files were auto protected.

I recommend you repair the Office programs and upgrade the lastest patches to test.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:22 AM