none
Creating an e-mail summary of new documents via workflow or alerts

Question

• Hi all,

First of all, I created an alert and works fine, it shows all new documents created the previous day in a summary e-mail.

The issue, is that it shows me all documents. What i would like is to create the alert or workflow to display only my documents (created by me)

I would like to create a workflow that runs daily (specific time) and review all new documents in a library. Then sends an e-mail with the summay of new documents created by the creator (using the created by)

Is that possible via Workflow?

Can the alerts page be customized to have a new section under "Send Alerts for These Changes " with a new field such as "created by me"

Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hi AdminSP,

Glad to receive your reply.
    The custom alert notifications solution can meet your requirement.
    In the alert template, when you set the “IsVisible” to true in the Filters node.
    Filters If IsVisible = "True", then the filter fields are displayed when creating the alert.

Then, in the “FilterDefinition” node ,you can custom the query to filter the latest document, Whose created date equal today.
    <Query>
     <Eq>
      <FieldRef Name="Created" />
      <Value Type="DateTime">
      <Today />
      </Value>
      </Eq>
    </Query>

Additional, you can create a custom Timer job to query all the items and send alerts as you expected.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc406686(v=office.12).aspx
    Thanks,
    Wayne Fan
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, March 16, 2012 9:24 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi AdminSP,

Thanks for your post.
    First, there is a “Someone else changes a document created by me” choice in the “Send alerts for these changes” section in the “Alert Me”. And it can meet your requirement in some degree.
    Second, you can custom the SharePoint alert template as following:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdeveloperdocs/archive/2007/12/07/customizing-alert-notifications-and-alert-templates-in-windows-sharepoint-services-3-0.aspx

Thanks,
    Wayne Fan

Wayne Fan

Friday, March 09, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

I have used the the above option on the alerts, but everyone receives a summary of ALL documents. What I am looking for is to send a summary of new documents created by the receiptient, leveraging the "created by" column.

Futhermore, I have the info on how to customize sharepoint alerts, what I would like to know is if the code can be manipulated to add a new field in the Alerts Page, section "Send Alerts for These Changes " for "documents created by me"

we have an automatic uploader to SharePoint and some user are not aware of the upload. The notification will resolve that issue.

Friday, March 09, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Hi AdminSP,

Glad to receive your reply.
    The custom alert notifications solution can meet your requirement.
    In the alert template, when you set the “IsVisible” to true in the Filters node.
    Filters If IsVisible = "True", then the filter fields are displayed when creating the alert.

Then, in the “FilterDefinition” node ,you can custom the query to filter the latest document, Whose created date equal today.
    <Query>
     <Eq>
      <FieldRef Name="Created" />
      <Value Type="DateTime">
      <Today />
      </Value>
      </Eq>
    </Query>

Additional, you can create a custom Timer job to query all the items and send alerts as you expected.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc406686(v=office.12).aspx
    Thanks,
    Wayne Fan

Wayne Fan

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, March 16, 2012 9:24 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 6:58 AM