none
SBS 2011 essentials VPN connected computer issues

Question

• Good morning.

We have a server running SBS 2011 essentials at site 1. Machines on site 1 are working fine.

I have a win 7 ultimate machine on site 2, site 2 is connected to site 1 with router based VPN. Everything was running fine yesterday, all mapped network drives running fine, able to log into dashboard etc.

This morning the machine at site 2 could not log into the server on site 1. Mapped network drives are not connected and cannot log into the server dashboard from the Launchpad.

I can however connect via remote desktop using internal IP address without issues confirming the VPN is functioning correctly.

I'm reasonably new to SBS so please be gentle!

Already tried:

rebooting local machine at site 2

rebooting server at site 1

TIA

Edit: there appears to have been some updates on the server yesterday evening.

• Edited by Morphies83 Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:59 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:50 AM

Answers

• Hi:

Things to check:  In the routers, verify the tunnel is up.  Restart both routers.  Verify you can ping the SBS E from the remote client.  Check the event logs on both the SBS E and the station for clues.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:23 PM
  • If you can find \\ip-address but cannot fine \\server-name you are not getting DNS over the VPN  If the remote system is domain joined what is the DNS server.  It should be the same as the systems inside the LAN, and I much prefer to use the Server, not the router, as both the DHCP and DNS server.

The Official Blog is a good resource for how to use either the server or the router.

• Marked as answer by Morphies83 Monday, June 24, 2013 7:58 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 11:12 PM
  • Thank you,

Adding <server IP> <server host> to the windows hosts file in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc solved my issues.

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi:

Things to check:  In the routers, verify the tunnel is up.  Restart both routers.  Verify you can ping the SBS E from the remote client.  Check the event logs on both the SBS E and the station for clues.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:23 PM
  • The tunnel is up as I can ping the server from site 2 and connect via remote desktop using the internal IP for the server.

Not sure which areas of the event log I should be looking at?

Edit:

I've rebooted the routers and still having the same issues.

As a matter of interest, I have a local NAS on site 2 that I can view the mapped drives but have to provide credentials, which before I didn't have to.

The mapped drives for the server still do not work, however in Explorer if I enter

\\ serverIP \

I can browse the shared folders on the server from site 2.

Can remote desktop to the server from site 2

Dashboard from Launchpad will not work from site 2.

Server not showing up in Network map from site 2

• Edited by Morphies83 Friday, June 21, 2013 12:12 PM further information
    Friday, June 21, 2013 10:17 AM
  • If you can find \\ip-address but cannot fine \\server-name you are not getting DNS over the VPN  If the remote system is domain joined what is the DNS server.  It should be the same as the systems inside the LAN, and I much prefer to use the Server, not the router, as both the DHCP and DNS server.

The Official Blog is a good resource for how to use either the server or the router.

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:12 PM
  • Thank you,

Adding <server IP> <server host> to the windows hosts file in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc solved my issues.

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:57 AM