none
Create a DBAN or alternative task in MDT 2012 to erase the hard drive

Question

• After a desktop or laptop is decommissioned and ready to be recycled, we run DBAN from a CD to erase the disk.  Is there a way to create a task in MDT 2012 that would allow us erase the disk through a network boot rather than having to put the cd in?

I does not even have to be DBAN, anything that is just as good or better to erase the drive.

Mark

• Edited by markfromit Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:38 PM

All replies

• If you are already using DBAN and you just don't want to use the CD, why not just put DBAN on your WDS / PXE serer?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Good question.  How do I add it to WDS?  WDS only add a WIM image.  DBAN is iso.

Mark

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:32 AM
  • I just run a custom task sequence to call a diskpart script from the diskpart folder in the root of my DS -

first run command - diskpart /s "z:\diskpart\diskpartcmd.txt"

then i run a restart computer...thats it..unless you need even more secure wipe then continue with dban or gdisk from ghost.

diskpartcmd.txt

list disk
    select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick label="WindowsOS"
    assign letter=w
    select partition 1
    active
    select volume 1
    attributes volume set nodefaultdriveletter
    exit

just change clean to clean all and it will write zeros to the complete hard drive for you..

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Just for fun I got it to work in my test lab, pretty straight forward. You will need this update link...

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/The_Syslinux_Project

and the 

6. Extract the file pxelinux.0 (found in the syslinux-4.02.zip under the folder ‘core’) to the I386 directory

is now located in bios/core on the new builds.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:34 PM