none
Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMWare

Question

• Hi. Please pardon me if I am posting the question in the wrong forum. I have a Windows 8 Pro system  and want to install Windows Server 2008 R2 Full installation and Windows Server 2008 Core on three virtual machines (2 with Full Installation and 1 with Server Core). What I would like to know if I will be able to configure  a domain in the virtual machines and set all of them on the same domain. Will that work? I am not very confident about working with Domains in Virtual Machines. Setting up network adapter in Virtual Machine has been a pain. I am not sure if it will affect the domain functionality in the virtualised environment. I have an infrastructure network if that is helpful. 
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:44 PM

Answers

• Yes you can setup a domain and have the virtual machines all configured as part of that domain in a single virtual network. I imagine there are various guides online to describe it, though how exactly you do it in VMware I can't say as I haven't done it.

On my home machine using Windows 8 I'm using Hyper-V (so VMware shouldn't be any different), and have all the VM's configured on the same network (I've actually got two separate networks configured with two separate domains) and joined to the domain, and that works fine.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:09 PM

All replies

• Yes you can setup a domain and have the virtual machines all configured as part of that domain in a single virtual network. I imagine there are various guides online to describe it, though how exactly you do it in VMware I can't say as I haven't done it.

On my home machine using Windows 8 I'm using Hyper-V (so VMware shouldn't be any different), and have all the VM's configured on the same network (I've actually got two separate networks configured with two separate domains) and joined to the domain, and that works fine.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Thanks. I think now I am confident giving it a try. And it does seem like using HyperV will be a better choice as it is a native solution.
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:07 PM