none
VM Windows 2008 R2 lose its default gateway

Question

• I have a primary Exchange 2010 server that is hosted in a virtual machine with Microsoft Windows 2008 R2.

We have been facing a particular issue that I am not able to find any clue on Internet.

The server loses its default gateway.

I've checked the event viewer and the only events that are registered are those related with the cluster (Since this server is in DAG with the secondary Exchange 2010).

The only information I have found on Internet is related to Windows Server 2008 and not 2008 R2. 

Just to rule out any chance, I followed the step for the Windows Server 2008: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;973243  but the issue happened again.

It happened randomly and it's the second time that occur

Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:49 AM

Answers

• I have been a loing time since this happened but just to let you know. I opened a case with Microsoft Support and turned out to be an issue with the virtual NIC. As the server was a VM, looks like it was an issue with the connection between the guest OS (Win 2008 R2) and the hypervisor.

We disabled the Network card from Win 2008 R2, removed it from VMware and then Shut down the server. Re-add a new network card and configured it once again.

• Marked as answer by JUrenag Monday, August 04, 2014 11:25 PM
    Monday, August 04, 2014 11:25 PM

All replies