none
Limiting monthly data transfer per VM?

General discussion

• Looking for ways in which I can limit the amount of data any one VM can transfer in a month to external networks in Hyper-V 2012. Ultimately something which tracks data consumption live, and also has the ability to send warning alerts as usage limits near and finally disable all external traffic once a threshold is reached.

Anyone doing this via scripting, or are people using 3rd party options for this?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:45 AM

All replies

• You can find NetSpeedMonitor and other tools which can help you do this?

I have used NetLimiter tool to limit the available bandwidth, however should be capable to provide you live reports as well.

Out of curiosity, why is this a concern?

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Thanks for the links. I should have specified that I need something that works at the hypervisor layer, i.e something that cannot be muddled with from within the VM itself. Essentially need this for bandwidth budgeting. I have X amount of data I can transfer over the wire in a monthly billing cycle before I start getting charged by my provider, and I don't want VM users going over their agreed quota.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Hi Johnny,

the only thing you can do on Hypervisor level is QoS for the Virtual Machines. It's not limiting the maximum amount, but only the network usage for the VMs.

Best Regards,
    Jens

jensit.wordpress.com

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:09 PM
  • Thanks Jens,

Interesting. How do professional VPS hosting providers using Hyper-V manage this risk then? You get a couple of dozen users going over their data transfer budget by 100GB (which is pretty easy to do) and depending on your upstream network provider you could be up for anything from hundreds to thousands of dollars worth of data charges. Is there no way System Centre 2012 can be configured to do this?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:54 PM