none
Office 2000 full-file update files available somewhere ?

Question

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Service Pack 1
    Office 2000, SP-3, etc.\

[ Yes, I know Office 2000 is s old, but it does what I need and I have many customizations that I would have to replicate in a different manner if I moved to a newer version. ]

Hello:

Where can I find/download full-file update files for Office 2000. e.g. Service Packs, Security Updates, French Proofing Tools Update, etc. I can find the normal update files on MS site, but those are just the small files that connect to microsoft.com to initiatate download of the real files.

I'm worried about the day when MS removes those update files from the site, so I'd like to keep local copies of the full-file update files so that I can always reinstall and update Office 2000, even if MS removes the files.

Thanks

Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• I just did a quick search on MS Downloads, and found quite a few.
    e.g. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14314

I searched the Office category, and sorted by age (oldest first), skipped past all the Office97 stuff, and found Office2000 stuff there.
    The example above appears to be a fullfile update, not sure about the others.

Don
    Monday, December 12, 2011 8:45 PM
  • Monday, December 12, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Wow! That's a whole bunch of them!

It seems that one needs to use just the right combination of terms when searching for old stuff on MS. I did all kinds of searches and kept finding just the tiny downloader exes, plus a lot of broken links and outdated/circular references.

Now I need to figure out what all is required, since Office Updater no longer exists for 2000.

Thank you!!! :)

Monday, December 12, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Help.
    How do I install full-file updates?

I had installed one for Office 2000 Service Release 1a (SR-1a) o2ksr1a, but that was downloaded from a third-party download site (because that one was removed from Microsoft's sites). Perhaps someone had already "prepared" that one, because what I downloaded was a zip file of a folder of files. After extracting the folder, all I had to do was launch the included Setup.exe and it applied the update.

The full-file updates I'm finding on Microsoft have complicated instructions. For example, the one I partially quoted at the end of this message talks about an administrative installation, admin paths to MSI and MSP files, etc. I don't know what any of that means. AFAIK, I do not have an administrative installation. I just install Office 2000 on my home computers, and I want to apply updates.

Can anyone please help me with some easy way to apply offline/admin/full-file versions of Office 2000 updates?

How to Install the Full-File Version of the Patch

If you installed your Office 2000 product from a server location, the server administrator must update the server location with the full-file version of the patch and deploy that update to your computer.

... snipped

7.If you are familiar with the procedure for updating your administrative installation, click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type the following command:
    msiexec /a Admin Path\MSI File /p C:\KB818798a\MSP File SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE

In this command, Admin Path is the path of your administrative installation point for Office 2000 (for example, C:\Office2000), MSI File is the .msi database package for the Office 2000 product (for example, Data1.msi), and MSP File is the name of the administrative update (for example, MSO9ff.msp).

Note You can append /qb+ to the command line so that the Office 2000 Administrative Installation dialog box and the End User License Agreement dialog box do not appear.

8.To deploy the update to the client workstations, click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type the following command:
    msiexec /i Admin Path\MSI File REINSTALL=Feature List REINSTALLMODE=vomu

... snipped

• Edited by franklin-xy Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:10 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:10 AM
  • ok, so you don't have an Admin Install (AIP or ACP), on a server share, where client pc's install it from. so ignore those steps.

just run each updater on each machine.

Don
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Okay. Thanks.

I found what were labelled as "full-file" versions for the updates I need, but most of them seem to be too small to be the entire thing. I think they still contact MS to download stuff. Maybe I misunderstood what full-file updates were. I thought they were the entire set of files, rather than downloaders that need to still get stuff from MS. Maybe what I really wanted would be called "off-line" updaters.

I was reading about slipstreaming. If I could do it, that would seem to be a good way to not have to go through all this the next time I install Office. As I understand it, slipstreaming would let me apply updates to a hard drive copy of the Office installers, without it being actually installed yet. Would it be fairly easy to figure out how to do this slipstreaming, or is that a can of worms?

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:16 AM
  • the AIP/ACP was one way to do that, but MS have abandoned that method in favour of the LIS.
    Most places I know had a lot of grief with the AIP method, all that re-caching, which you picked up on, above.
    I'd steer clear of it with Office2000.
    Don
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:46 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I decided to try it. I followed instructions at http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=272 and was able to do the admin "install" of Office 2000 to a folder on my drive, and I applied the service packs SR-1a and SP3.

What about the various Security Updates and small hotfixes? Is there some way to apply them to the admin "install", so that that folder will serve as a complete installer of all service packs and updates?

Or, is it only possible to slipstream the big service packs?

I wasn't able to find offline-type downloads for the security and hotfixes, so maybe it's not possible. I found offline full downloads just for those two large service packs.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:49 PM