none
Disk Management hangs : Can't connect to Virtual Disk Management Service

Question

• I just built an HP ML350e with a B120i Raid controller with three SATA drives attached and configured as a Raid 1 with the third drive labeled as a hot spare. The OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. I have updated all HP firmware and Windows components that apply to WSE 2012 R2 using the recommended supplemental HP-SPP for WSE 2012 R2.. All Windows updates have also been applied to date as well.

The issue presents when you open Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management : The program is hung waiting for a connection to the Virtual Disk Service.. The message at the bottom of the pane reads : "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service..." It also shows up when looking at the Server Manger Dashboard > File and Storage Services > Servers > Disks: No disks are listed.

I also believe that this is directly related to my Windows Server backup issue in which it can't discover any available disks to backup.  Any guidance on this issue greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 5:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• I just built an HP ML350e with a B120i Raid controller with three SATA drives attached and configured as a Raid 1 with the third drive labeled as a hot spare. The OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. I have updated all HP firmware and Windows components that apply to WSE 2012 R2 using the recommended supplemental HP-SPP for WSE 2012 R2.. All Windows updates have also been applied to date as well.

The issue presents when you open Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management : The program is hung waiting for a connection to the Virtual Disk Service.. The message at the bottom of the pane reads : "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service..." It also shows up when looking at the Server Manger Dashboard > File and Storage Services > Servers > Disks: No disks are listed.

I also believe that this is directly related to my Windows Server backup issue in which it can't discover any available disks to backup.  Any guidance on this issue greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick

OK after navigating  back to Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management : and letting it sit for just a little over two hours it populated the center panel with the Disk and Partition information.  I do not know what this tells me other than it will eventually find the Disks and Partitions, but would really enjoy a faster response from my server..  
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 9:31 PM
  • If you are sure you have the right RAID drivers installed, then in my experience, this sort of thing portends a hardware issue. Have you checked for faulty cabling?  Anything significant in the event logs?  Sorry I can't be more specific, but that's what I would look at.
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 9:45 PM
  • I want to believe that I have the correct driver installed for the controller, but after looking at the event log. I question my previous statement. I have spent a lot of time on the HP support site learning about what Intelligent Provisioning will and will not support.  So I learned that my OS product is not supported by IP and that I have to load the OS old school using the Media disk and the “Windows Server 2012 R2 Supplement Release for Service Pack for ProLiant” The load went pretty smooth as manual loads go. I also use the HP System Update Manager -(HP SUM) to load all the latest firmware for the drives and controller as well as any HP components that Windows needed.  The B120i controller is integrated into the planar and then cabled to the multi drive bay by a single cable, which was assembled by HP before the server was shipped so I would not believe that, that would be an issue with this scenario.

So then you asked about event errors, funny you should ask, I found three errors that might be related to my issue. Now I'm wondering if the controller may be at issue here. I'm already questioning the driver that I installed here before I finish this reply. Not real sure where to start.

ID =11 Severity= Error ; Source=disk;  message reads “The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk\DR2”

The other error I found

ID=153 ; Severity=Warning ; Source= disk; message reads “The IO operation at logical block address for Disk \Device\00000044  (PDO name: ) was retried.”

ID=36887 ; Severity=Error ; Source= Schannel Message reads "A fatal alert was received from the remote endpoint. The TLS protocol defined fatal alert code is 40."

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 11:04 PM
  • Hmm... Pretty sure the Schannel error is unrelated... this is typically a failure in security certificate authentication.

The other errors do sound germane, though.  In my experience, "ID 11 controller error" errors are often generated when a disk cannot be reached or a file operation times out, and the other error obviously indicates a failure in trying to read data.  It's unclear if these are just symptoms of the real issue, however.

If it was a normal disk, I'd suggest taking it offline and doing a chkdsk /r to look for bad physical sectors.  Since it's a RAID volume and you haven't seen it perform "normally" before, I would tend to suspect a driver issue.   

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 12:30 AM
  • I did a little reading up on the Transport Security Level Protocol and I agree with you regarding the Schannel error. I don't think its related to my main issue.  There was a short interruption of internet connectivity and the server was making some mild complaints about w32tm and time synching and the Schannel error popped up about that time, but that all ended when the internet came back up.. I will continue to pick at the HP support site for a better controller driver to use until they get their Service Pack for Proliant finally updated for 2014. They continue to promise it will be out in early 2014, I haven't seen it yet.. 

Patrick

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 2:50 PM
  • Ok I found my issue, and it was the new and latest driver that was causing the problem. when loading WSE 2012 R2 not even the supplemental Service Pack disk has the correct B120i/B320i driver. You have to downgrade to a Windows Server 2008 64bit controller driver to ease the driver pain and misery.  The answer is to refer to this Technical White paper  on the HP Support site " Implementing Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 on HP Proliant Servers"

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA4-7658ENW.pdf

Then follow this section very closely.

"Special instructions for servers with a Dynamic Smart Array B120i or HP Dynamic Smart Array B320i controller"

You can find the down grade driver at this link:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_bd9b6997fbc7fc515f4cf4626f5c8d01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D4064%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.tpst=bd9b6997fbc7fc515f4cf4626f5c8d01&sp4ts.oid=5293148&ac.admitted=1387311569626.876444892.492883150%23Driver%20%E2%80%93%20Storage

After down loading this driver copy it to a local folder and expand it. Then use the Server manager to manually update the controller driver software, then choose the " hpsa2.inf " file click OK , then finish the install and reboot. problem was resolved. No more #11 disk errors or #153 Disk Warnings about logical block address retries.  My Disk Manager and Native Server Backup app work as expected.

Hope fully HP will have their Intelligent Provisioning and their HP-SPP updated soon. Until then, this appears to be their answer.

Cheers

Patrick

• Edited by Probertson1 Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Probertson1 Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:16 PM
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:14 PM
  • Glad you got it sorted. :-)
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 6:38 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

Glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the forum. This will help others who face the same scenario resolve the issue quickly. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    Thursday, February 06, 2014 3:09 AM
  • Patrick, did this eventually solve your problem...?

The reason I ask is that over the last few months I have built two brand new DL360e Gen 8 servers and both I have installed Microsoft Server Essentials 2012 R2 and both have been a total nightmare..., so much so that I have not installed any of the HP drivers, as soon as I have done it the server becomes unresponsive and due to having limited time to work out exactly what the problem is I have had to build it as a "vrigin" server with nothing HP installed...

On the last one, I contacted HP and they advised that I download the very latest SP for Proliant (HP_Service_Pack_for_Proliant_2014.06.0_784915_001_spp_2014.06.0-SPP2014060.2014_0618.4)...

After installing that the server just fell in a heap...

I've never had problems with HP's in all my life, but Essentials 2012 R2 has all kinds of issues with the HP drivers...

I can't run a backup yet due to it coming up with the software becoming unresponsive and the Virtual Disk manager just hangs when I run it up..

Seeing your post your post it has pointed me in the direction of a possible fix..., but I'm scared to death I will make a "working server" in to a heap again...

Are you still running your fix..?, or do you have a better one now..., as your original problem was a few months back now..

Regards

Colin

Monday, September 15, 2014 9:55 PM