Windows Server Essentials 2012, >> Remote Access setup questions

Question

• I am setting up Windows Server Essentials 2012 for my company.  The server has installed satisfactorily, but I am having problems with a few details.  A bit of guidance will be MUCH appreciated!

1) The instructions for adding the REMOTE ACCESS MANAGEMENT TOOLS start out with: 1) bottom left, click the SERVER MANAGER.  (I am not able to find such an icon anywhere.) ..  I have gone over to the Win8 desktop and clicked on all the icons.  I can't find anything saying SERVER MANAGER there either.  Where do they hide this?  WHY do they hide this?

2) I want to change the server computer's ip address to a fixed address.  The instructions say NOT to use the normal card ip setup functions, but rather to use the "ip address setup wizard".  Similar to the #1, I have searched diligently looking for a) where to download the wizard from or 2) where MS hides these "wizards".  Clues welcomed!

I sincerely hope MS recovers from the METRO interface.  It surely makes life tough for the IT maintenance folks who DO NOT do this for a living.  IMHO, the METRO interface lacks the essential ingredient called "obviousness".   Maybe things will get better.

Joe

• Edited by w2jo1 Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:34 AM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:31 AM

All replies

•  netsh int ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 172.21.254.172 255.255.255.0 172.21.254.1

This works

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:59 AM
  • If this doesn't work, try to boot to 

1. Boot machine, press F8 to select the recovery startup type

2. logon using local administrator account

3. Select command prompt from system recovery options (see screen shot)

4. netsh int ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 172.21.254.172 255.255.255.0 172.21.254.1

5. Select System Image Recovery from the system recovery options menu, click on Advanced tab, request a recovery image from a network location

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:01 AM
  • Goto Server Manager 

Manage(top right)

Add roles

Server Roles

Go through the list steps

Enable Remote access + Remote Desktop

Finalize

Restart Server

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:03 AM
  • is this R2 or 2012 Essentials?

If 2012 Essentials can you post in the 2012 Essentials forum?

What instructions are you referring to?  

If this is a true Essentials box then all of this stuff should be already installed.

Friday, July 05, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

First off all you need to install the Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8 before you even can use this tool on the Windows 8 Machine.

The tools can be downloaded here.

After installation you will be able to add the server to the tool. And from now on you can manage your server 2012 from your Windows 8 machine.

Also I think the instructions refers to the Bottom left on the Windows Server 2012 and not on Windows 8.

Kind Regards,

Dion

- Dion

Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:27 AM