none
Connecting to WindowsVista

Question

• I follow the directions and I get to "select the location," and all I get on my Vista PC is ANDREWBRANCH-PC, which is my PC. How do I find my mac? 

This is where I get tripped up. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn473006.aspx

For setting up the PC to be accessed:

• In the Select Users or Groups dialog box, do the following: 
        • Tap or click Remote settings. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

• To select the search location, tap or click Locations, and then select the location you want to search.
      • In Enter the object names to select, enter the name of the person that you want to add, and then tap or click OK. The name will be added to the list of people who can connect to this PC.

Friday, November 22, 2013 12:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, please make sure that you have Windows Vista Business/Ultimate/Enterprise.

To answer your question, the Location here is just let you find a user account which is needed when connect remotely. I think you only have a Home network/workgroup. If so, the Location is just your Vista itself.

Generally, the user account you used to login Vista is a local Administrator and this account has right to connect remotely.

Therefore, on you Mac, run Microsoft Remote Desktop App and create a new Remote Desktop.

For PC Name, type the IP address of your Vista. For Credentials, use this format: ANDREWBRANCH-PC\User Account as user name. The Gateway setting is no need for you. Other settings are optional.

Then, test your remote connection.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:25 PM

All replies

• Basically, I don't know what the heck I'm doing, and I want to connect from my Mac to my Vista. Help me. 
    Friday, November 22, 2013 1:23 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please make sure that you have Windows Vista Business/Ultimate/Enterprise.

To answer your question, the Location here is just let you find a user account which is needed when connect remotely. I think you only have a Home network/workgroup. If so, the Location is just your Vista itself.

Generally, the user account you used to login Vista is a local Administrator and this account has right to connect remotely.

Therefore, on you Mac, run Microsoft Remote Desktop App and create a new Remote Desktop.

For PC Name, type the IP address of your Vista. For Credentials, use this format: ANDREWBRANCH-PC\User Account as user name. The Gateway setting is no need for you. Other settings are optional.

Then, test your remote connection.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:25 PM