none
How to recover files from a virus infected flash drive?

Question

• Yesterday, I tried to transfer some files from the computer of my friend to my flash drive. It worked well there. However, when I attempted to open it on my personal computer, my flash drive became empty. And the used space was also displayed as the same number as before. Is it virus infected? Is it possible to get back all my files on this flash drive?

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:13 AM

Answers

• Hello! Based on my experiences, your problem could be caused by three reasons:

1). Intentionally hide your files

Try to unhide them like this: Start > Run > Type in "control folders" > View > “Show hidden files and folders”.

2). Virus hides your files.

In these days, some virus also would hide your files and make them inaccessible. So, you need to scan your drive as soon as possible and clean all possible viruses completely.

Note: You should check carefully before you decide to delete your drive data in case of data loss. Otherwise, you have to use data recovery software to get back your wanted data back.

3). Hard drive problems.

Sometimes, the hard drive problem also would cause this problem. In order to get back your files, you may try some data recovery programs. There are many drive data recovery freeware that could help you a lot: Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free.

I hope my words could help you. 

• Marked as answer by Riveraty55576 Monday, July 22, 2013 3:16 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

USB drive have clear signs of virus infections which might damages the stored files. Try recovery programs to get back your lost files. The software will scan and shows preview of recoverable files and folders for free, which helps you in ensuring that the files were not lost and would be recovered once you upgrade it.

Avoid formatting or using the drive till you've recover the data. Feel free to ask if you need any further help..

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by OliverGeeky Friday, July 18, 2014 2:54 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Hello! Based on my experiences, your problem could be caused by three reasons:

Try to unhide them like this: Start > Run > Type in "control folders" > View > “Show hidden files and folders”.

In these days, some virus also would hide your files and make them inaccessible. So, you need to scan your drive as soon as possible and clean all possible viruses completely.

Note: You should check carefully before you decide to delete your drive data in case of data loss. Otherwise, you have to use data recovery software to get back your wanted data back.

3). Hard drive problems.

Sometimes, the hard drive problem also would cause this problem. In order to get back your files, you may try some data recovery programs. There are many drive data recovery freeware that could help you a lot: Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free.

• Marked as answer by Riveraty55576 Monday, July 22, 2013 3:16 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:25 AM

3). Hard drive problems.

Thank you for your detailed description.

I have followed your three steps and find this problem is caused by some drive problems. So, as you've written, in order to get back my data, I tried your listed data recovery freeware to take chances.

But, how fortunately it is!Now, I have restored all my wanted files back by using these mentioned free applications.

Thanks a lot!

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:21 AM
  • But, how fortunately it is!Now, I have restored all my wanted files back by using these mentioned free applications.

Glad to hear that!!! This could an important lesson learned of taking backup of your important data regularly.

There are few more recovery applications that may be useful in similar situations if want to try, see this.

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:11 AM