none
the specified setup script file (c:\minint\unnattend.txt) is inaccessible or invalid

Question

• Hello,

Am getting this error when deploying Windows 2003 R2 Std on VMWare 4.1 (unattended installation from original VL media - same media I have used for over 3 years)

bdd.log would suggest that the last command run was winnt32.exe /unattend1:c:\minint\unattend.txt etc etc....

Am using a deployment share that I have used multiple times before (tens if not hundreds time before on all sorts of hardware)

The main difference this time is that it is the first time that I have tried deploying 2003 using MDT2012

The VMWare drivers appear to inject successfully as the NIC and Disk are available

Am guessing that the unattend.txt is invalid as stated because it is certainly accessible - following the error I can F8 and open unattend.txt in notepad

I can't post the entire unattend.txt here, however the thing that stands out to me is in the [unattended] section

oempnpdriverspath=";\Drivers\Net\vmxnet3ndis5.1.<longdirectoryname>

my question is, should the leading semi-colon be there? Gotta say I rarely look at the unattend.txt as I rarely have a problem

am guessing that this is being badly written by the litetouch scripts?

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:46 PM

Answers

• Andrew,

There is more than one way to skin a cat, however if it makes you happy blazing me then keep going. R2 is in the image, however as my issue is a Windows installation problem your R2 comments, while appreciated, are of no use to me and resolving this problem.

Anyways

Turns out the problem was related to the password for joining the domain - it contained an equals (=) sign. This is bad. If the password contains an equals sign, enclose it in quotes in the customsettings.ini

Therefore the unattend.txt was indeed invalid.

• Marked as answer by _dg Friday, February 08, 2013 8:25 AM
    Friday, February 08, 2013 8:25 AM

All replies

• I tried disabling the inject drivers step

tHis prevented the oempnpdrivers line being written, so it's probably nothing to do with that

will try and use some different drivers maybe, but must have a vmscsi driver or it won't detect a disk at all

will reply back later

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Did you create an operating system source that contains both discs?

You need both.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Yes,

The R2 components will get installed when using the [GuiRunOnce] section after the OS intall is complete, however as I can't get that far I don't see that as an issue.

I have not modified the unattend.txt since 2009 so am confident that it is good. Have reviewed the customsettings and that seems fine.

I performed an unattended install using the same dep share on Hyper-V last nigt without issue, so make me think that VMWare or drivers are my issue

Will try with older VMWare drivers and come back

Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:36 AM
  • This is too weird

When the installation fails, I open a command prompt and can see a C:\ drive, I can see c:\minint\unattend.txt

There is plenty of free disk space - VM has two procs (have tried with 4GB and 2GB of memory)

For fun I decided to run

winnt32.exe from the i386 directory

Error from the windows installer is: No Valid system partitions were found. Setup is unable to continue.

As I said before, this works fine on Hyper-V

Have used this same deployment share on vmw 3.5, 4.0, 4.1 and 5.0 in the past

Have tried using the LSI and SAS controller (pvscsi never works (blue screen) so won't try that

For what it's worth the disk is stored on an EMC SAN (3-tier) with VIX SSD Cache - don't think Windows should be bothered about this

There used to be a setting in MDT 2008 to enable diskpart BIOS compatibility that sometimes helped, however there does not seem to be an equivalent in mdt 2012

Has anyone else successfully deployed

Windows 2003 Std (32-Bit)

on VMWare 4.1

using MDT 2012

I'm sure the answer is yes

Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:39 AM
  • Yes,

The R2 components will get installed when using the [GuiRunOnce] section after the OS intall is complete, 

So the answer then is no. You did not create a reference source with both disks.

You created a source with the first disk and then applied the R2 element after installation.

From the manual. . .

To create the R2comp.inf file and add the Windows Server 2003 R2 installation files (Disc 2) to the operating system source

1. In Windows Explorer, go to the operating system source files that you imported in the previous section. The image will be located in drive:\deployment_share\Operating Systems\operating_system_name (where deployment_share is the name of the folder that contains the deployment share to configure and operating_system_name is the name of the folder created in step 8 of the previous section); for example, D:\Production Deployment Share\Operating Systems\Windows-Server-2003 Standard Edition.

2. In the operating system source folder, create the folder $OEM$. For example, the following folders should exist:

· D:\Production Deployment Share\Operating Systems\Windows-Server-2003 Standard Edition\i386

· D:\Production Deployment Share\Operating Systems\Windows-Server-2003 Standard Edition\$OEM$

3. In the $OEM$ folder, create the subfolders $OEM$\$1\R2 and $OEM$\$1\R2\Cmpnents.

4. In the $OEM$\$1\R2 folder, create a file named R2comp.inf.

5. In R2comp.inf, create a [Version] section, and then create a [Components] section that lists the components to install.

For example, the code in Listing 14 installs Active Directory® Application Mode (ADAM) and Common Log File System (CLFS).

Listing 14. R2comp.inf Script Sample

[Version]

Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[Components]

ADAM=on

CLFS=on

Note For a complete list of the components that can be installed, see Deploy.chm, located in the \Docs folder of Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 2.

6. Copy the contents of the Cmpnents folder from Disc 2 to the folder created in step 3—for example, D:\Production Deployment Share\Operating Systems\Windows-Server-2003 Standard Edition\$OEM$\$1\R2\Cmpnents.

7. Create a task sequence that includes this operating system source.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Friday, February 08, 2013 1:25 AM
  • Andrew,

There is more than one way to skin a cat, however if it makes you happy blazing me then keep going. R2 is in the image, however as my issue is a Windows installation problem your R2 comments, while appreciated, are of no use to me and resolving this problem.

Anyways

Turns out the problem was related to the password for joining the domain - it contained an equals (=) sign. This is bad. If the password contains an equals sign, enclose it in quotes in the customsettings.ini

Therefore the unattend.txt was indeed invalid.

• Marked as answer by _dg Friday, February 08, 2013 8:25 AM
    Friday, February 08, 2013 8:25 AM