none
SBS 2003 to 2011 Migration - two problems

Question

• I have performed most of a migration from SBS 2003 on an old server (“SERVER”) to SBS 2011 on a new server (“FUJITSU”), using a migration-mode install. This is in a single-server environment with two XP desktop PCs and one XP laptop, with two user accounts.

I have been following the step-by-step guide from Microsoft. I have two specific problems that I don’t know the reason for, nor how to solve, and would appreciate any insight and advice.

1.    User Redirected Folder Migration

Having migrated the users and set up Folder Redirection, I logged into a desktop as one of the users (Mary), whose shared “My Documents” folder on SERVER was about 800MB in size. During login, the desktop displayed “Applying your personal settings” for about 20 minutes or more, and eventually displayed the desktop. I discovered that the My Documents folder had successfully been changed from \\SERVER\Users\Mary\My Documents to \\FUJITSU\RedirectedFolders\Mary\My Documents, and that the latter folder correctly held all the user’s documents. I assumed that this migration had been performed during the “Applying your personal settings” phase of the login. Sychronisation on logout correctly referred to the new folder on FUJITSU. This is all fine.

The problem came with the other user (Peter), whose documents folder on SERVER is about 16G in size. I assumed that “Applying your personal settings” might as a result take several hours, but that was not the case. It was actually quicker than for Mary. I soon saw an alert in the system tray that said “SERVER is not available – working offline”. A logout and login didn’t solve that, but a desktop reboot did. However, looking in \\FUJITSU\RedirectedFolders\Peter\My Documents, I could see that only about 700MB of data had been copied across, and repeated monitoring showed that no more was being copied. Understandably, My Documents was still redirected to SERVER.

I made sure quotas were disabled for the users, just in case that was an issue.

I tried doing a “GPUPDATE /FORCE” as described in the guide, but that didn’t cause migration of the data to resume.

I installed the Server 2003 support tools on the XP desktop (to get Robocopy), and then used Robocopy (on the desktop logged in as Peter) to manually copy everything from \\SERVER\Users\Peter\My Documents to \\FUJITSU\RedirectedFolders\Peter\My Documents (which took several hours).

Even after that, I could not get the Peter account to switch its redirection from SERVER to FUJITSU, even with another “GPUPDATE /FORCE”.

So please could somebody explain to me how to finish the data migration for this user?

2.    Client Computers

On the old server, in the Server Management application, there are four client computers listed: OFFICE, DESKTOP2, LITTLE and MBLAPTOP. Of these, LITTLE is no longer used, but just has never been deleted.

However, on the new server, only OFFICE and LITTLE are listed as Client computers. I have successfully used DESKTOP2 and MBLAPTOP to log on to the domain, but they are still not listed. I have also used OFFICE successfully.

So my questions on this problem are:

What would prevent DESKTOP2 and MBLAPTOP from being listed on the new server after migration?

How do I fix the issue? Use “Add Client Computer” on the new server? Do something on the client to re-join the domain?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Tony
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think on issue1 you need to reset the offline file database on the PC.

on 2) check ADUC (Active Directory Users & Computers) that the machines that are missing from the console are in the correct OU (\\My Business\SBS Computers) and not the default OU(\\computers)

Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Hi Tony:

Quite possibly both issues can be caused by the users or computers or both being in the wrong OU.  Open ADUC and verify that all users and all computers are in the same OU for their respective types.

Also, see if this applies:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/22/why-are-some-of-my-users-not-displaying-in-the-sbs-console.aspx

I know it says SBS 2008, but I can't remember, if I ever knew, it it was corrected for SBS 2011.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Thanks guys - I'll check this when I'm next on-site this week.

Should I check ADUC on the Source Server or the Target Server, or both? I'm guessing the Target Server since I believe that is now the AD master.

Cheers -- Tony

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Thanks - how do I reset the offline file database on the PC?

Although I'm a little doubtful about this, as the same issue appears on multiple PCs for the same user, but not for the other user.

Cheers -- Tony

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:44 AM
  • on 2) check ADUC (Active Directory Users & Computers) that the machines that are missing from the console are in the correct OU (\\My Business\SBS Computers) and not the default OU(\\computers)

Bingo! In ADUC on the new server, the two machines OFFICE and LITTLE are correctly in My Business\SBS Computers, and these had originally been installed when first setting up SBS 2003. The two missing clients, DESKTOP2 and MBLAPTOP were indeed in the top-level Computers instead. I know that these two were added to the domain later by the end user, just by joining the domain from the client, without doing anything on the server.

So how do I move those clients from Computers to My Business\SBS Computers? I'm afraid I'm a complete novice at AD - give me Linux any day!

Thanks -- Tony

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:32 PM
  • just drag them into the correct OU, or rclick - move.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Great - thanks!

That would leave the one user's folder redirection problem. I've checked, and both users are already in My Business\Users\SBSUsers. I think folder redirection for the Peter account tried to work, because it started populating \\FUJITSU\RedirectedFolders\Peter\My Documents, but only got to about 700M out of 16G before failing. I assume the redirection policy doesn't get updated from the Source Server to the Target Server until it knows user data migration is complete. The question is: how do I get the aborted data migration to restart and finish?

Thanks -- Tony

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Thank you for the post.

how do I reset the offline file database on the PC?

Run this command from an elevated command prompt and reboot the client:
    REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parameters" /v FormatDatabase /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jratsch/archive/2010/03/24/how-to-reset-offline-files-on-a-windows-client.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards

Rick Tan

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Thanks Rick, not only couldn't I actually find the more GUI process but I think that reg add may be more effective.
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:32 AM