none
Add 2008 R2 second domain controller to 2003 SBS domain

Question

• Server install went very smooth, except one problem.  Making it a backup domain controller.

Error message; To install a domain controller into this active directory domain, you must first prepare the domain using "adprep /forestprep".

Here is what I did;

1. Raised the functional level on AD Sites to 2003
    2. Installed KB 926505  (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708131(v=ws.10).aspx)
    3. Copied Adprep from the 32 bit cd of 2008R2 to the C:\Temp folder on the old server.
    4. Ran Adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep on the 2003 SBS server.  Both commands ran successfully.
    5. Go back to the 2008R2 and run “DCPROMO” as administrator and it says I still need to run Adprep /forestprep????
    6. Ran DCDIAG on SBS came up clean.  Fixed a Journal wrap error, still no joy.
    7. Tried disabling IPV6 on the 2008 R2 with Microsoft fixit tool.
    8. Tried turning off the firewall in the domain
    9. Nothing seems to make it work.  Still get same message when I run dcpromo Error message; To install a domain controller into this active directory domain, you must first prepare the domain using "adprep /forestprep".
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:22 AM

Answers

• You can't simply copy the adprep program. It needs definition files to know HOW to upgrade the schema. So the error  is accurate. Your schema is still at a 2003 level. Run adprep directly from the media and it will work fine. It knows which folder on the CD to look in to find the schema updates.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:14 AM
  • Well, it is extremely rare for dcpromo to throw that error when it is anything other than *that* error. So all of the network troubleshooting is probably for naught. If it were a network issue, you'd be getting a different error. So let's try a basic troubleshooting step. On your domain controller, from an elevated command prompt, run this command and post back your results:

dsquery * cn=schema,cn=configuration,dc=domainname,dc=local -scope base -attr objectVersion

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:05 PM
  • As I said, it rarely throws a false positive. If your server is 2008 R2, the schema needs to be 47. 44 is for an older version of windows (2008 non-R2 as I recall.) This can happen, again, when the source media is the wrong version or when fiels were copied instead of run directly from the media.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:16 PM
  • Confirming what I've told you. Look at the name on that CD. It will say 2008 (no R2 anywhere in the title.)

How do I know this? Because there *is* no 32-bit CD for 2008 R2. That was the version Microsoft went 64-bit only.

Now, check your 64-bit CD. If it says 2008 R2, you can use it (even though it is 64-bit. The adprep folder has a program called adprep32.) If it *also* says 2008 (no R2) then, before downloading a trial, I'd be very concerned about which license you also got from Dell. If they sent 2008 CD's and the license attached to the server is 2008, then running 2008 R2 would be illegal and could get you in serious trouble. Not to mention have all sorts of activation issues.

If they did sell you 2008 R2, that is what they should have sent you. I'd call them and get the CD. Yes, you can use a trial in the meantime, but I'm not sure MS has trial editions of 2008 R2 available anymore, as they are all in on 2012 and soon-to-be 2012 R2. And trusting a "trial" from another source would be a risk I wouldn't take.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:25 PM

All replies

• You can't simply copy the adprep program. It needs definition files to know HOW to upgrade the schema. So the error  is accurate. Your schema is still at a 2003 level. Run adprep directly from the media and it will work fine. It knows which folder on the CD to look in to find the schema updates.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:14 AM
  • I forgot to mention that I did run it from the media originally and it succeeded.  In trying to run it a second time it would say that it had already updated the schema. 
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:26 AM
  • Well, it is extremely rare for dcpromo to throw that error when it is anything other than *that* error. So all of the network troubleshooting is probably for naught. If it were a network issue, you'd be getting a different error. So let's try a basic troubleshooting step. On your domain controller, from an elevated command prompt, run this command and post back your results:

dsquery * cn=schema,cn=configuration,dc=domainname,dc=local -scope base -attr objectVersion

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Opened Connection to SERVER-OHDR
    SSPI Bind succeeded
    Current Schema Version is 44
    Upgrading schema to version 44
    The schema has already been upgraded. Rerun setup to upgrade this DC.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:11 PM
  • As I said, it rarely throws a false positive. If your server is 2008 R2, the schema needs to be 47. 44 is for an older version of windows (2008 non-R2 as I recall.) This can happen, again, when the source media is the wrong version or when fiels were copied instead of run directly from the media.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:16 PM
  • Dell was kind enough to send a 64 and a 32 cd.  I ran it from the 32 bit cd that came with the 2008 R2 server.

Do I need to download the r2 trial and try and run it from there?

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Confirming what I've told you. Look at the name on that CD. It will say 2008 (no R2 anywhere in the title.)

How do I know this? Because there *is* no 32-bit CD for 2008 R2. That was the version Microsoft went 64-bit only.

Now, check your 64-bit CD. If it says 2008 R2, you can use it (even though it is 64-bit. The adprep folder has a program called adprep32.) If it *also* says 2008 (no R2) then, before downloading a trial, I'd be very concerned about which license you also got from Dell. If they sent 2008 CD's and the license attached to the server is 2008, then running 2008 R2 would be illegal and could get you in serious trouble. Not to mention have all sorts of activation issues.

If they did sell you 2008 R2, that is what they should have sent you. I'd call them and get the CD. Yes, you can use a trial in the meantime, but I'm not sure MS has trial editions of 2008 R2 available anymore, as they are all in on 2012 and soon-to-be 2012 R2. And trusting a "trial" from another source would be a risk I wouldn't take.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:25 PM
  • I have media that is from MS that I can use.  Will try that and post results.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:28 PM