Will the My Forums Thread page remain?

All replies

• The functionality of this feature will remain but not under the "My Forums Threads" link. Since you can customize the view of the home page you can select the forums which you care about most. You will get the threads from these forums directly on the home page creating the same view you would in "My Forum Threads." The "My Forums" link will still be present and provide quick accessibility for the individual forums a user has added to this list.  

Forums Program Manager

Monday, June 17, 2013 10:25 PM
    Administrator
  • My Forum Threads automatically shows me the threads from the all the forums I'm subscribed to.

What you're saying is now I have to customize my home page and remember to add or remove forums when I want to subscribe/unsubscribe. What if I want to go to the home page and not see any of my threads?

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, June 17, 2013 11:01 PM
  • When you are on the home page you can bookmark your current view so you do not have to customize it every time you come into the home page. We have discussed having "My Forums Threads" be a link back to the home page with only the subscribed forums selected. Unfortunately, this will not be available when we release the new design. However, I will make sure that this is still logged.

Forums Program Manager

Monday, June 17, 2013 11:14 PM
    Administrator
  • This is upsetting, but thank you for following up.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, June 17, 2013 11:35 PM
  • Now that the change has happened, I can't figure out how to customize my home page. Are there instructions?

I see the Quick Access drop down has My Forums and My Threads, it's still strange to me that My Forum Threads isn't on this list.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:08 PM
  • OK, I've discovered the "category" parameter, making the following URL display "SharePoint" posts:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=sharepoint

It's not clear to me which forums are in this category, but I'm guessing it's everything to do with SharePoint.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:58 PM
  • I just reread your post about "bookmarking" the page. For some reason I got it in my head there was a way to pin particular forums to the view but there is not.

Basically my desire is to only browse from one location (view) all of the threads for a very specific set of forums.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:00 PM
  • When you arrive on the Forums home page select the specific set of forums whose threads you want to view.  You do this by:

a) checking the box next to each forum you want from the Forums list in he left rail (as shown in the image below)

or

b)  clicking the [View All] link at the top of the Forums list.  Then search for and selecting the specific forums you want.  Press the Submit button.

Next, (optionally) adjust Filter and Sort options to get the subset and order of threads that you prefer. 

Now bookmark your current view as a browser favorite.

Whenever you want to come back to Forums and see just this specific set of forums, use the bookmark.

As you've observed, you can manually craft a URL that includes only the categories and forums you want, selects filter options, and sort options, but doing that manually is a lot more work than just configuring the home page the way you like it and then saving the bookmark.

We have heard the feedback on "My Forums Threads", and plan to address it.  That said, if you use the approach above you can easily bookmark one or more customized views that you want to come back to frequently.

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:42 AM
    Administrator
  • Friday, June 21, 2013 3:46 AM
  • I think I see the problem -- I don't have the list of forums. I just only now saw the little arrow so this list was hidden.

However, when I click the arrow to show it, I see nothing:

My browser is Chrome, Windows 7.

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Jason, this is odd. I see in the URL that this is in fact the TechNet Forums home page. Would you try this one more time and see if it is resolved? Would you also try MSDN if you can repro. Thanks! 

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:21 PM
    Administrator
  • I see that I was mistaken and I can see the forum lists, however I can reproduce the issue.

Repro steps:

Chrome browser (About Google Chrome reports: Version 27.0.1453.116 m), Windows 7 x64

1. Go to the TechNet forum home page, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

2. Click the arrow in the left pane to view the forums (ok, this works!) -- Note that when I open the page in IE I see the forums by default. I have never seen the forum list until I started clicking around with this arrow.

3. Click the arrow again to collapse the pane

4. Click the arrow again to open the pane, the pane is empty.

I can't reproduce with the MSDN forums (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home), it is working here.

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Jason. Again, odd... This is definitely a bug. I will file it. 

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:47 PM
    Administrator