none
DISM does not recognize certain commands / upgrading from trial version to standard server

Question

• a couple of months ago I installed the trial version of WinSrv 2012 while waiting for the keys.

I have the keys, and wanted to upgrade the servers I created to the standard edition. The procedure worked for 3 of the servers, and failed in one.

The commands:

DISM /online /get-currentedition 

DISM /online /get-taergetedition s

DISM /online /set-edition:serverenterprise /productkey:xxxxx 

All of them fails with error 87, option is unknown.

The dism.log says:

2013-10-21 11:56:32, Error                 DISM   DISM Transmog Provider: PID=3436 TID=2852 GetProductType: Error [0x80070002] retrieving current ProductType value. - CTransmogManager::GetProductType
    2013-10-21 11:56:32, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=3436 TID=2852 Failed to call Initialize method on IDismServicingProvider Interface - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider(hr:0x80070002)
    2013-10-21 11:56:32, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=3436 TID=2852 Failed to Load the provider: C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\1\B21B5092-6B5E-43B7-A57F-7BAFB03866E0\TransmogProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x80070002)
    2013-10-21 11:56:32, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.

I have a log taken from one the servers that works fin and those are the first lines that differ. The good one shows:

2013-10-21 11:58:00, Info                  DISM   DISM Transmog Provider: PID=3044 TID=1848 GetProductType: ProductType = [LanmanNT] - CTransmogManager::GetProductType
    2013-10-21 11:58:00, Info                  DISM   DISM Transmog Provider: PID=3044 TID=1848 Product Type: [LanmanNT] - CTransmogManager::Initialize
    2013-10-21 11:58:00, Info                  DISM   DISM Transmog Provider: PID=3044 TID=1848 Determined WinDir path = [C:\Windows] - CTransmogManager::GetWinDirPath
    2013-10-21 11:58:00, Info                  DISM   DISM Transmog Provider: PID=3044 TID=1848 Product Type ServerNT : [No] - CTransmogManager::Initialize
    2013-10-21 11:58:00, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.

Any ideas? 

I tried running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

but it didn't fix the problem.

I still have 132 days left in the eval, but need to fix this asap. The machine has hyper-v with my dc...

Thanks

Esteban

Monday, October 21, 2013 3:32 PM

All replies

• I don't quite understand your problem statement.  You say it worked for three machines and failed for one.  But then you say the all fail with an option unknown.  So I'm not sure what you are asking about - how to get the fourth machine upgraded or why the Dism command is failing.

On dism, the purpose of the /set-edition is to set the edition to a higher edition.  For Windows Server 2012 that would mean moving from Standard to Datacenter.  2012 does not have an Enterprise edition.

If you still need to upgrade the last system, you can also accomplish that by mounting the 2012 media on the box you want to upgrade and run setup.exe.  During the process it will detect that an operating system is installed and give you the option to upgrade.  Pretty simple.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:16 PM
  • Hi Esteban,

Thanks for your posting.

I also want to confirm these information:

1.  Did all of the three cmdlet:  DISM /online /get-currentedition  DISM /online /get-taergetedition  DISM /online /set-edition:serverenterprise /productkey:xxxxx  get the same error87 after ran the cmdlets, and what are the specific cotent of the errors.

2.  Did there got errors after ran the cmdlet DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

In addition, the forum may be helpful for you to fix this issue, which got error 87: The cleanup-image option is unknown.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/dism-cleanup-image-not-working/e4611720-6add-4040-be9f-40516369d629

I hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Tim,

The procedure worked in three of the servers.

The 3 commands I showed failed in the server that has the problem.

And as I mentioned, I want to upgrade from the trial/evaluation version to the Standard Edition.

I will try the setup way and see if that works.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Anna,

Yes, the three commands failed with error 87. The DISM output is below. The /RestoreHealth finished with no errors. I have searched in several forums but did not find an answer. Given that Server 2012 is relative new, that may be the reason.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>dism /online /get-currentedition

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Error: 87

The get-currentedition option is unknown.
    For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:06 PM
  • Hi Esteban,

Would you please run SFC /scannow and dism /online  /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth to check if there have damages in the system Files.

I hope this helps. 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:04 AM
  • Anna,

Both finished with no errors. No component store corruption found, no integrity violations.

It seems that I will have to re run setup. Hate to do that...

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:56 PM
  • I found that these instructions worked perfectly earlier today to convert an evaluation standard vm to fully activated standard.  http://mutterances.com/windows-server-2012-evaluation-convert-activate-to-fully-licensed/  It looks like you missing the /AcceptEULA flag at the end.

You cannot do this if the machine is a DC, simply will not allow it, not sure if I am reading that last reply correctly.  If the machien is a DC then you can't do it.  Here is the MS article about that: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx (about halfway down)

I have not been able to get the VL 2012R2 media to install in a VM, so I installed the Eval copy which still worked fine and then converted it via instructions above, then promoted it to DC.  Worked fine that way. One thing I noticed it it would only take a MAK key, the KMS key failed. 

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Basically those are the instructions I followed. As I mentioned above, the DISM /online /get-currentedition fails. And that is the first step in those instructions.

I know about the /AcceptEULA as I did manage to convert three other servers, and needed that to complete the command. If you do not include /AcceptEULA it will tell you to add it in a very clear message.

One of the machine that I succesfully upgraded was my DC. I did have to demote it, took some time, but worked fine.

And it is not a KEY issue (MAK vs KMS). Just getting the current edition does not require to input a key...

Thanks anyway.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:57 PM